RE: ID vs. ?

From: Susan Brassfield Cogan (susanb@telepath.com)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 21:05:09 EDT

    At 01:42 PM 09/10/2000 +0800, you wrote:
    >Stephen Jones:

    >That is, they should ask themselves whether the fact that they spend their
    >time and energy attacking their fellow Christians who are arguing against
    >anti-Christian philosophies like materialism, naturalism and Darwinism, and
    >defending their atheist/agnostics colleagues who hold those philosophies, is
    >not good evidence that they themselves have in fact been taken captive by
    >those "hollow and deceptive" philosophies?

    Cliff stated that Dembski had lied to him personally. Why should he support
    and defend such a person? Indeed how could he do it and remain a Christian?

    And I want Stephen to point out what, specifically, is anti-Christian about
    the following passage:
    (This is from Lenny Flank's website
    http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/2437/therapsd.htm)

    . The earliest therapsids show the typical reptilian type of jaw joint,
    with the articular bone in the jaw firmly attached to the quadrate bone in
    the skull. In later fossils from the same group, however, the
    quadrate-articular bones have become smaller, and the dentary and squamosal
    bones have become larger and moved closer together. This trend reaches its
    apex in a group of therapsids known as cynodonts, of which the genus
    Probainognathus is a representative. Probainognathus possessed
    characteristics of both reptile and mammal, and this transitional aspect
    was shown most clearly by the fact that it had TWO jaw joints--one
    reptilian, one mammalian:

    "Probainognathus, a small cynodont reptile from the Triassic sediments of
    Argentina, shows characters in the skull and jaws far advanced toward the
    mammalian condition. Thus it had teeth differentiated into incisors, a
    canine and postcanines, a double occipital condyle and a well-developed
    secondary palate, all features typical of the mammals, but most
    significantly the articulation between the skull and the lower jaw was on
    the very threshhold between the reptilian and mammalian condition. The two
    bones forming the articulation between skull and mandible in the reptiles,
    the quadrate and articular respectively, were still present but were very
    small, and loosely joined to the bones that constituted the mammalian joint
    . . . Therefore in Probainognathus there was a double articulation between
    skull and jaw, and of particular interest, the quadrate bone, so small and
    so loosely joined to the squamosal, was intimately articulated with the
    stapes bone of the middle ear. It quite obviously was well on its way
    towards being the incus bone of the three-bone complex that characterizes
    the mammalian middle ear." (Colbert and Morales, 1991, pp. 228-229)

    Susan