ID vs. ?

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 15:45:58 EDT

    Bertvan
    >>There are a few Darwinists who seem to sincerely believe
    >>nature's complexity was "created" by random mutation
    >>and natural selection. However, for the most
    >>part, those involved in this emotional defense of the
    >>theory are more interested in bashing religion.
    >>I don't think the public is yet completely
    >>aware of this. I believe such awareness
    >>be helpful when evaluating the >evidence.

    Cliff H:
    >I've noticed that you've brought this idea up a few times.
    > I think Steven has also. I was wondering, how do you
    >explain myself and my collegues at Baylor and Calvin
    >University, as well as many others, who are Christians
    >(or any other religion), who also agree that Darwinian
    >evolution is the best answer to the question of life's origins?
    >Am I bashing myself?

    Bertvan:
    Hi Cliff H, I don't have to explain your beliefs, or however you might have
    arrived at them. That is your business. The "evidence" for design has
    convinced some; others remain unconvinced. I support your right to express
    your beliefs. I protest any efforts to prevent expression of opposing views.
     I understand Baylor is where professors rose up in protest, merely because
    the question was being discussed -- by people supporting and opposing ID.
    (It wasn't even connected with the science department.) As long as any
    portion of the public remains convinced everyone supporting ID is a
    "creationist" or a "religious fundamentalist", I will remain a vocal
    supporter of the movement. When other scientists stop questioning the
    academic credentials or personal integrity of those scientists supporting ID,
    I'll probably loose interest in the controversy.

    Cliff H:
    >I've noticed that Dembski and other leaders of ID will
    >consistently attempt to paint scientists as atheists,
    >but ignore all of us who are scientists and have devout
    >religious beliefs. In the case of the ID leaders,
    >I think the misrepresentation is intentional.
     I think your case, it is just a hasty generalization.

    Bertvan:
    It's no hasty generalization. God gets mentioned here more often that Darwin
    -in spite of repeated protests that ID allows the possibility of a god, but
    does not require it. It is not part of the concept.

    Cliff H:
    >I still think you're deluding yourself. Read
    > ALL of the articles by members of the Discovery Institute.
    > When they make statements like , "Design
    >places front and center the wisdom of God in creation,
    >but seems to allow for almost magical
    >intrusions into the natural order that
    >hreatens to undo its integrity." (Dembski, 2000),
    >"The most important question is whether God
    >is real or imaginary." (Johnson, 2000), and
    >"The crucial breakthrough of the intelligent design
    >movement has been to show that this great theological
    >truth--that God acts in the world by dispersing information
    >--also has scientific content." (Dembski, 1998)
    >I don't have to guess who they think the designer is.
    >It is not the ID opponents who are obsessed with the
    >designer. Again, if you believe that the
    >designer is something else other than the Christian God,
    >then you are fooling yourself in believing that that is the
    >research being conducted by the leaders of the Discovery
    >Institute.

    Bertvan:
    I don't care who other people think the "designer" is. It is understandable
    some Christians are interested in a theory which allows the possibility of a
    god. Apparently you are offended by it. It's a personal belief. Why should
    you care? Most IDs acknowledge that the existence of a god can not be
    scientifically demonstrated. ID merely hopes to present convincing evidence
    that nature is the result of a design rather than random processes. It is
    your option to remain unconvinced.

    Cliff H:
    >When we speak of ID, we are talking about an
    >intelligent, sentient, conscious entity. To try
    >to divorce the discussion of detecting design from
    >the nature of the designer is ridiculous. Especially,
    > when the Discovery Institute has already decided who
    >the designer is.

    Bertvan:
    The term is "intelligent design", not "conscious design", not "sentient
    design". In any case, I probably disagree with many things the Discovery
    Institute advocates. With ID, I agree.
    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan