Re: ID vs. ?

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 00:20:01 EDT

    >Cliff H:
    > >I've noticed that you've brought this idea up a few times.
    > > I think Steven has also. I was wondering, how do you
    > >explain myself and my collegues at Baylor and Calvin
    > >University, as well as many others, who are Christians
    > >(or any other religion), who also agree that Darwinian
    > >evolution is the best answer to the question of life's origins?
    > >Am I bashing myself?
    >
    >Bertvan:
    >Hi Cliff H, I don't have to explain your beliefs, or however you might have
    >arrived at them. That is your business. The "evidence" for design has
    >convinced some; others remain unconvinced. I support your right to express
    >your beliefs. I protest any efforts to prevent expression of opposing views.
    > I understand Baylor is where professors rose up in protest, merely because
    >the question was being discussed -- by people supporting and opposing ID.
    >(It wasn't even connected with the science department.) As long as any
    >portion of the public remains convinced everyone supporting ID is a
    >"creationist" or a "religious fundamentalist", I will remain a vocal
    >supporter of the movement. When other scientists stop questioning the
    >academic credentials or personal integrity of those scientists supporting ID,
    >I'll probably loose interest in the controversy.
    Chris
    I suspect that when those "scientists" supporting ID actually do some
    science that *does* support ID, or show more than "painted-on" signs of at
    least intellectual integrity (other kinds of integrity are not of much
    concern to scientists when evaluating his or her work), then other
    scientists probably *will* stop questioning their credentials and
    integrity. So far, we appear to have a long wait ahead of us if we are
    waiting for this to happen, if Dembski, Behe, Hoyle, and Thaxton are any
    indication.