Re: ID vs. ?

From: Susan Brassfield Cogan (susanb@telepath.com)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 23:07:04 EDT

    At 11:37 PM 08/31/2000 +0100, you wrote:
    >From: Susan Brassfield Cogan <Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu>
    >[...]
    > >If the conditions are right, life is
    > >inevitable.

    Richard Wein:

    >That may not be true. We have no idea how likely the origin of life was.

    why, if the conditions are right in two places would life appear in one and
    not the other? Dawkins makes an assertion to this effect and I've never
    really understood it. If you put flour, eggs, sugar, etc. in the oven it
    will be cake *every time*. I don't understand why it wouldn't be. The
    ID'ers like to think there's an Abracadabra factor but such a thing has
    never actually been demonstrated.

    > >Why not? Randomness terrifies you. Physics should comfort you.
    >
    >Randomness does unsettle people. I think we have a natural tendency to
    >prefer things to be predictable.

    :-) yeah, and you *know* how predictable miracles are!

    Susan