Re: ID vs. ?

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 11:49:19 EDT

    Bertvan:
    Hi FMAJ, I am not a scientist, and make no pretense of engaging in scientifi
    discussion.

    I apologize for the confusion

    Bertvan: Evidence can be found for almost all sides of any question.
    Anyone interested in forming their own opinion Darwinism and ID would do
    well
    to read those scientists who make the arguments. Nothing would be
    accomplished by my repeating it here.

    Indeed, I have read quite a bit about ID and it is clear that a natural
    designer cannot be excluded as the creator of ID. Furthermore there are quite
    some problems with Dembski's ID arguments and Behe's ID/IC arguments.

    Bertvan: I am a part of public opinion. There
    are a few Darwinists who seem to sincerely believe nature's complexity was
    "created" by random mutation and natural selection. However, for the most
    part, those involved in this emotional defense of the theory are more
    interested in bashing religion.

    Nice unsupported assertion. Are you saying that those involved in an
    emotional defence of ID are interested in bashing darwinism? Rethoric is so
    unproductive. Especially when it is unsupported.

    Bertvan: I don't think the public is yet completely
    aware of this. I believe such awareness could be helpful when evaluating
    the
    evidence.

    I agree that we Christians could benefit a lot from learning about what ID is
    and what it's problems are. Especially the latter one.

    FMAJ
    >True but it's obvious where the ID movement wants to take it. If they
    only
    >realized that since it does not identify the designer, natural forces
    could
    >be the designer making ID nothing more than "nature did it".

    Bertvan:
    True. Most IDs have nothing against "natural forces".

    Fine, then it is clear that there is no real value in ID? But I would like
    you to support your argument.

    Bertvan: In fact, many more
    details of the design - whether it was designed by a god or "natural
    forces"
    - will probably be revealed, once we get past this insistence that it had
    be "random mutation and natural selection".

    You might be wrong although that is faith based assumption. And if natural
    forces cannot be excluded then ID still can point to random mutations and
    natural selection.

    Bertvan: The Darwinists are the ones
    obsessed about the designer; IDs keep saying forget the designer.

    For obvious reasons but ID'ers also seem to forget that nature can be the
    designer therefor ID has little value. It could be 'design' or 'apparant
    design' exactly as it has always been.

    Bertvan: They are
    more interested in the design. If most of the IDs happen to be Christian,
    that is merely an indication to me that they are apparently more open
    minded
    than the religion bashers.

    Another unsupported and rethorical assertion dear Bert. Are you sure that
    Christians are more open minded?

    FMAJ
    >Darwinism does not deny design. A common fallacy.

    Bertvan:
    Great to hear! What are we arguing about then?

    Indeed. So why did you make that assertion?

    FMAJ
    So natural forces can be definitely a form of ID? That does seem to reduce
    the meaning of ID a little.

    Bertvan:
    Seems to me it expands it. All ID has said so far is that nature is the
    result of a design, rather that random processes. The design obviously
    includes "natural forces".

    There is still nothing more that ID has to offer at that point. We see
    something and wonder "was it designed". When ID is infered (if it can be done
    reliably, another major if) then ID still does not add much to our knowledge.
    Is there any independent evidence of non-natural design in biology? Not
    really so until then design really does not add much. Evolution also leaves
    open the avenue of non-darwinism but until evidence of such exists there is
    really nothing to 'worry' about

    Bertvan: I have yet to encounter an ID advocate arguing
    against "evolution" as defined as "change over time". They argue against
    "random mutation and natural selection" as having created nature's
    complexity.

    I wonder if all ID'ers were willing to accept evolution (common descent). I
    doubt it. Fine, if there is a good reason to doubt that random mutations and
    natural selection created all complexity then show evidence. Even
    evolutionists hardly believe that this is the only form of evolution.

    Bertvan: If Darwinism wants to redefine itself to allow the *possibility*
    of teleology, and redefine random to allow the possibility of design, I
    wonder who will have won the argument?

    Darwinism always allowed a designer who designed through evolutionary
    mechanisms or mechanisms undistinguishable from evolution. But those
    arguments belong in religious faith. If (ID) design is redefined to mean
    "random or we don't know" then who really has won?
    I'd say science.