ID vs. ?

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 11:05:42 EDT

    Bertvan:
    Hi FMAJ, I am not a scientist, and make no pretense of engaging in scientific
    discussion. Evidence can be found for almost all sides of any question.
    Anyone interested in forming their own opinion Darwinism and ID would do well
    to read those scientists who make the arguments. Nothing would be
    accomplished by my repeating it here. I am a part of public opinion. There
    are a few Darwinists who seem to sincerely believe nature's complexity was
    "created" by random mutation and natural selection. However, for the most
    part, those involved in this emotional defense of the theory are more
    interested in bashing religion. I don't think the public is yet completely
    aware of this. I believe such awareness could be helpful when evaluating the
    evidence.

    >>SJ: This is simply not so. ID is only about detecting *design* not the
    >>*designer*. It is the Intelligent *Design* movement, not the Intelligent
    >>*Designer* movement!

    FMAJ
    >True but it's obvious where the ID movement wants to take it. If they only
    >realized that since it does not identify the designer, natural forces could
    >be the designer making ID nothing more than "nature did it".

    Bertvan:
    True. Most IDs have nothing against "natural forces". In fact, many more
    details of the design - whether it was designed by a god or "natural forces"
    - will probably be revealed, once we get past this insistence that it had to
    be "random mutation and natural selection". The Darwinists are the ones
    obsessed about the designer; IDs keep saying forget the designer. They are
    more interested in the design. If most of the IDs happen to be Christian,
    that is merely an indication to me that they are apparently more open minded
    than the religion bashers.

    FMAJ
    >Darwinism does not deny design. A common fallacy.

    Bertvan:
    Great to hear! What are we arguing about then?

    FMAJ
    So natural forces can be definitely a form of ID? That does seem to reduce
    the meaning of ID a little.

    Bertvan:
    Seems to me it expands it. All ID has said so far is that nature is the
    result of a design, rather that random processes. The design obviously
    includes "natural forces". I have yet to encounter an ID advocate arguing
    against "evolution" as defined as "change over time". They argue against
    "random mutation and natural selection" as having created nature's
    complexity. If Darwinism wants to redefine itself to allow the *possibility*
    of teleology, and redefine random to allow the possibility of design, I
    wonder who will have won the argument?

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan