Re: Experts Worry That Public May Not Trust Science

mortongr@flash.net
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 20:24:43 +0000

At 09:57 AM 09/21/1999 -0700, Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:
>"Outsiders" always have the potential to cause open-minded (whatever that
>means) "insiders" to evaluate the logic of their stance, particularly when
>this position is dictated not by the data, but by the model, as is most
>certainly the case in thinking about origins. Thus, even the Phil Johnsons
>of the world can fulfill a valuable role in science.

I would cite the case of Wegener who proposed continental drift. He was a
meteorologist who studied geology and presented his scenario for earth
history. He was rejected for years and finally accepted. He was an
outsider that made a difference.

But the distinction between him and Johnson is that Johnson presents no
scenario for his vision of earth history. All he presents are critiques.
He never seems to have the courage to stick his neck out and actually make
aprediction as to what science might find in the future. All the examples
I have seen in this thread are examples of people who made predictions

And Johnson, as you are aware, is not attacking my religion.
glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology
http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm