Re: Examples of natural selection generating CSI

From: Paul Nelson (pnelson2@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 12:23:47 EDT

    FMAJ1019 wrote:

    > An interesting assertion but if I understand Richard and
    > Wesley correctly, they are looking for an actual example
    > with numbers. Furthermore they are looking for examples
    > in nature of CSI.

    The magnetic patterns on your hard drive exist in nature.
    They're as real as your hands resting on the keyboard.

    > One cannot merely assert that CSI
    > exists, one has to show that it does.

    Hmm. "Show your work," right, like on
    a math quiz?

    OK. There are 27 characters in the
    English alphabet (26 letters, and a space)...

    Nah. Too tedious. Your msgs are CSI.
    Mine are CSI. Do the calculations
    yourself, I'm too busy.

    > An interesting "riddle" was also given by Wesley with
    > his "algorithm room".
    > http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/ae/dembski_wa.html

    Right. Wesley and I have talked about this in
    private correspondence. Ask Wesley if he knows
    of any evolutionary algorithm whose causal
    history (as lines of code) does not implicate at
    least one intelligent agent. Put another way,
    evolutionary algorithms are proxy agents.
    If you pursue the causal story, you'll find the
    action of a designer somewhere down the road.

    Think about it this way. If you wrote a program
    to write your e-mail msgs for you, and I detected
    the program, sooner or later I'd track you down
    too. CSI requires an intelligent cause, whether
    immediately or remotely.

    Paul Nelson
    Senior Fellow
    The Discovery Institute