Re: Examples of natural selection generating CSI

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 13:11:36 EDT

    In a message dated 9/29/2000 9:24:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
    pnelson2@ix.netcom.com writes:

    > FMAJ1019 wrote:
    >
    > > An interesting assertion but if I understand Richard and
    > > Wesley correctly, they are looking for an actual example
    > > with numbers. Furthermore they are looking for examples
    > > in nature of CSI.
    >
    > The magnetic patterns on your hard drive exist in nature.
    > They're as real as your hands resting on the keyboard.

    Cool, so we now have examples of magnetic patterns. Are these pattersn CSI?
    Are these patterns natural?

    > > One cannot merely assert that CSI
    > > exists, one has to show that it does.
    >
    > Hmm. "Show your work," right, like on
    > a math quiz?

    If the CSI hypothesis wants to be taken seriously then that's indeed what
    needs to be done.

    > OK. There are 27 characters in the
    > English alphabet (26 letters, and a space)...
    >
    > Nah. Too tedious. Your msgs are CSI.
    > Mine are CSI. Do the calculations
    > yourself, I'm too busy.

    As I said, interesting assertions. I could call our messages "email" and that
    would show what? A mere assertion does not make for much of a hypothesis.

    > > An interesting "riddle" was also given by Wesley with
    > > his "algorithm room".
    > > http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/ae/dembski_wa.html
    >
    > Right. Wesley and I have talked about this in
    > private correspondence. Ask Wesley if he knows
    > of any evolutionary algorithm whose causal
    > history (as lines of code) does not implicate at
    > least one intelligent agent. Put another way,
    > evolutionary algorithms are proxy agents.
    > If you pursue the causal story, you'll find the
    > action of a designer somewhere down the road.

    Not necessarily: Natural selection is a good example of an evolutionary
    algorithm

    "Dembski's article, "Explaining Specified Complexity", critiques a specific
    evolutionary algorithm. Dembski does not dispute that the solution
    represents CSI, but categorizes the result as apparent CSI because the
    specific algorithm critiqued must necessarily produce it. Dembski then claims
    that this same critique applies to all evolutionary algorithms, and Dembski
    includes natural selection within that category. "

    http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/ae/dembski_wa/sc_resp_wre.html

    But Wesley already answered your question

    http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/ae/dembski_wa/19990913_csi_and_ec.html

    "And that is the objection that I answered in my draft article. In other
    words, CSI arises, but can be traced to infusion by an intelligent agent. In
    my
    draft article, I utilize the same test case as I proffered to Dembski in
    1997: Where does the "infusion" of information occur in the operation of a
    genetic algorithm that solves a 100-city tour of the "Traveling Salesman
    Problem"? At the time, and in my draft report, I considered and eliminated
    each potential source of "infusion". "

    > Think about it this way. If you wrote a program
    > to write your e-mail msgs for you, and I detected
    > the program, sooner or later I'd track you down
    > too. CSI requires an intelligent cause, whether
    > immediately or remotely.

    Again based on a presumption that evolutionary algorithms require a designer.
    That computational algorithms can have a designer involved is no evidence
    that they NEED to have a designer involved. I am glad to hear though that you
    seem to have abandoned apparant CSI from actual CSI. Am I correct in assuming
    this?

    Also am I correct in assuming that the evidence of CSI (in nature) will be
    shown using the arguments put forth by Dembski? Of course if one cannot
    distinguish apparant CSI from actual CSI, what is the use of CSI ?

    "If Dembski's analytical techniques cannot resolve the issue of possible
    cheating in the "Algorithm Room", how does he hope to
    resolve the issue of whether certain features of biology are necessarily the
    work of an intelligent agent or agents? If
    Dembski has no solution to this dilemma, the Design Inference is dead."

    http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=532248147

    If Dembski concluded that

    "How does the scientific community explain specified complexity? Usually via
    an evolutionary algorithm. By an evolutionary algorithm I mean any
    algorithm that generates contingency via some chance process and then sifts
    the so-generated contingency via some law-like process. The
    Darwinian mutation-selection mechanism, neural nets, and genetic algorithms
    all fall within this broad definition of evolutionary algorithms." "
    http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/ae/dembski_wa/19990913_csi_and_ec.html

    then how can it be presumed that any known instance of evolutionary algorithm
    has a designer down the road?