Re: Dr. Roland Hirsch

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 13:00:30 EDT

    In a message dated 9/28/2000 3:47:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
    sejones@iinet.net.au writes:

    > Here is an excerpt from a speech by a Dr. Roland Hirsch in accepting a
    > Distinguished Service Award from The American Chemical Society. In it
    > Dr Hirsch makes the *stunning* claims that:
    >
    > 1. based on molecular biological data "the Darwinian theory itself is
    > fundamentally, perhaps fatally flawed. "

    Interesting assertion. But does the evidence supports this? We shall see.

    > 2. "cellular processes are ... irreducibly complex" in that "gradual,
    > step-by-
    > step evolution of the process would not work, for none of the intermediate
    > stages would be "selected" because none of the intermediate stages would
    > be functional."

    Showing the same lack of understanding of evolutionary pathways as shown by
    other IC proponents. It's remarkable in the light that scientists have
    identified potential pathways to IC systems in nature.

    Robison shows a natural pathway to an IC system
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/behe/review.html

    A classification of possible routes of Darwinian evolution. Richard H.
    Thornhill1 and David W. Ussery. Published in The Journal
    of Theoretical Biology, 203: 111-116, 2000.

    "Possible routes of Darwinian evolution can be classified into four
    fundamental categories, as outlined below."

    a) Serial direct Darwinian evolution.

        This means change along a single axis. Although it can generate
    complicated structures, it cannot generate
        irreducibly complex structures

    b) Parallel direct Darwinian evolution.

        Parallel direct Darwinian evolution can generate irreducibly complex
    structures, but not irreducibly complex
        structures of functionally indivisible components (Fig. 1), and this is
    the valid conclusion to draw from Behe's thesis.

    c) Elimination of functional redundancy.

        Redundancy elimination can generate irreducibly complex structures of
    functionally indivisible components, and
        a Darwinian evolutionary route of this type has been suggested for
    biochemical cascades, such as the blood-clotting
        system (Robison, 1996).

    d) Adoption from a different function.

        "Adoption from other functions, whether generating an irreducibly
        complex structure or otherwise, appears to be widespread at the
        molecular level. The following are a few examples: (i) Many bacteria
        and yeasts contain chimeric flavohaemoglobins, consisting of a haem
    domain which is homologous to non-chimeric haem proteins, and a
        flavin-binding domain which is homologous to NADPH sulphite reductase,
    toluate 1,2 dioxygenase, cytochrome
        P450 reductase, and nitric oxide synthase (Moens et al., 1996). (ii)
    Antifreeze glycoprotein in the blood of Antarctic
        notothenioid fishes, which enables them to survive in icy seas, is
    considered to have evolved from a functionally
        unrelated pancreatic trypsinogen-like protease, and the recent discovery
    of chimeric genes which encode both the
        protease and an antifreeze glycoprotein polyprotein strongly supports
    this theory (Cheng & Chen, 1999).
        (iii) Crystallins (proteins with refractive functions in the eye lens)
    are closely related or identical to stress-protective
        proteins in non-ocular tissues (eg. Drosophila a-crystallins and small
    heat-shock proteins are homologous).
        Piatigorsky uses the term "gene-sharing" for the encoding in a single
    gene of a protein with two or more functions,
        and suggests that this may be a widespread evolutionary 'strategy'
    (1998). "

        "There are several apparent instances of adoption in one of Behe's
    examples, the blood-clotting system. One is the
        kringle domain, a structure of 90 amino acids with three characteristic
    disulphide bonds, which is present in various
        proteins of the blood-clotting cascade, and also in hepatocyte growth
    factor, which is not involved in blood-clotting
        (Gerhart & Kirschner, 1997, pp. 220-222). A second example is epidermal
    growth factor, a 53 amino acid peptide with
        a characteristic motif of six cysteines, which is present in several
    blood-clotting proteins, and also in the epidermal
        growth factor precursor, the low density lipoprotein receptor, laminin
    (an extracellular matrix protein), and several
        transmembrane receptors (Davis, 1990)."

    "There are two ways by which irreducibly complex structures of functionally
    indivisible components could result from adoption:

        (i) Generation of an irreducibly complex structure by the joining of two
    or more non-irreducibly complex structures
        of functionally indivisible components. A possible example is the V(D)J
    joining mechanism in the immune systems
        of jawed vertebrates, as the most primitive version of this may have been
    formed by the insertion of a transposon
        into the gene for a membrane-spanning receptor (Agrawal et al., 1998;
    Hiom et al., 1998; Plasterk, 1998). The
        receptor, which probably had a function in the non-adaptive defence
    system of jawless vertebrates, may not have
        been irreducibly complex. The product of the transposon, which had the
    non-defence-related function of transposing
        the transposon itself, was very simple, consisting solely of two
    transposases, and may not have been irreducibly
        complex. However, the insertion gave rise to irreducibly complex split
    antigen-receptor genes, and thus ultimately
        to the highly advantageous variable immune system.

        (ii) Supply of an existing irreducibly complex structure of functionally
    indivisible components. The structure would
        have evolved previously by either redundancy elimination or the joining
    of two or more non-irreducibly complex
        structures of functionally indivisible components. Undulipodia may be
    accessible by Darwinian evolution in this
        manner, as their two main hypothesised origins are from ectosymbionts
    (Szathmary, 1987) and spindle tubules
        (McQuade, 1977; Cavalier-Smith, 1978, 1982). However, the most detailed
    published hypothetical pathway for the
        transformation of ectosymbionts into undulipodia was actually one of
    parallel direct Darwinian evolution. In this
        scheme, the connection between tubulin microtubules and dynein arms,
    which Behe suggested to be irreducibly
        complex, was absent at the initiation of the mutualist relationship
    between the eukaryote and the microtubule-
        containing spirochete, and its origin was explained, albeit incompletely,
    as part of the transformation from
        rotational to undulipodial motility (Szathmary, 1987). "

    They conclude:

    "The classification presented here probably covers all possible routes of
    Darwinian evolution, so that any biological structure
    should be accessible by some combination. It is hoped that it offers a useful
    conceptual framework for discussing accessibility
    by Darwinian evolution and responding to claims that certain structures are
    inaccessible."

    > 3. "recent research in information theory...concludes that random mutations
    > cannot create complex, biologically-specified genetic information."

    Also interesting but so far unsupported assertions. More relevantly it has
    been shown the opposite:

    http://www-lecb.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/paper/ev/

    or

    Evolution of biological complexity

    Christoph Adami*,, Charles Ofria,¤, and Travis C. Collier¦

    * Kellogg Radiation Laboratory 106-38 and Beckman Institute 139-74,
    California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125; and ¦ Division of
    Organismic Biology, Ecology, and Evolution, University of California, Los
    Angeles, CA 90095

    > Note these claims are all based on the *data* that Hirsch knows in his
    > field.. Dr Hirsch is not associated with the ID movement, but hopefully he
    > soon will be!

    Perhaps then ID can do some research to support their assertions? ID however
    cannot gain credibility from quoting nor from support of scientists unless
    they are willing to do the work of supporting their assertions. I hope that
    the ID movement will address the excellent arguments by Wein and Elsberry
    that show that ID is having some significant problems:

    Wesley Elsberry:

        "The apparent, but unstated, logic behind the move from design to

        agency can be given as follows:

           1. There exists an attribute in common of some subset of objects
              known to be designed by an intelligent agent.

           2. This attribute is never found in objects known not to be designed
              by an intelligent agent.

           3. The attribute encapsulates the property of directed contingency
               or choice.

           4.For all objects, if this attribute is found in an object, then we
           may conclude that the object was designed by an intelligent agent.

        "This is an inductive argument. Notice that by the second step, one
        must eliminate from consideration precisely those biological
        phenomena which Dembski wishes to categorize. In order to conclude
        intelligent agency for biological examples, the possibility that
        intelligent agency is not operative is excluded a priori. One large
        problem is that directed contingency or choice is not solely an
        attribute of events due to the intervention of an intelligent agent.
        The "actualization-exclusion-specification" triad mentioned above also
        fits natural selection rather precisely. One might thus conclude that
        Dembski's argument establishes that natural selection can be recognized
        as an intelligent agent. "

    http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/zgists/wre/papers/dembski7.html

    > I am becoming more confident that what we are starting to see is the
    > beginning of a trickle of scientists, which will gradually build up into a
    > flood-tide
    > in repudiating the 19th century materialistic paradigm of Darwinism and
    > replace it with a new 21st paradigm of intelligent design! This is shaping
    > up to
    > be a scientific revolution that will make the Copernican and Darwinian
    > revolutions look like a Sunday school picnic. What an exciting time to be
    > alive!

    It surely is an exciting time for some but so far ID has failed and if this
    is the best ID can hope for: Scientists repudiating Darwinism then ID surely
    has no future as a scientific alternative to neo-Darwinism. Certainly not if
    scientists repudiate Darwinism based on the same fallacious arguments as used
    so far by the ID movement. The paradigm of Darwinism and neo-Darwinism is
    still strongly present and no credible alternatives have been shown.
    Certainly intelligent design, which cannot exclude natural selection as its
    intelligent designer has nothing to offer. How could it?

    > I call on those evolutionists (particularly Christians) who have opposed the
    > ID
    > movement to re-evaluate their position in the light of this emerging new
    > evidence and not go down with the sinking ship of scientific materialism
    > out of misguided loyalty to science (as it is currently conceived). Your
    > loyalty as scientists should be to the *data*, not to
    > materialistic-naturalistic
    > philosophy.

    Indeed, and the data show no support for the claims of the intelligent design
    movement. It has been shown how IC systems can arise naturally. It has been
    shown that the ID filter by Dembski is hardly supporting their arguments.
    That Steve is hoping that others will abandon good science and is willing to
    conflate just like Johnson, the meaning of naturalism only shows that
    Darwinism and its sucessors are still doing fine.
    It's somewhat sad to see that Steve suggests that Christians and scientists
    have not evalutated the evidence and reached their conclusions or worse, that
    they have a misguided loyalty to science. As Lamoureux and others have shown,
    such arguments are not only insults to scientists but also to Christians. To
    conflate naturalism with ontological naturalism does not further the
    discussion as has been shown by Pennock, Lamoureux and many others.

    IF ID wants to gain a foothold in the scientific world then they should do
    the hard work to support their assertions, build a hypothesis, define the
    terms. But so far the terms used are vague and ambiguous, intelligent design
    cannot even rule out natural selection as the intelligent designer for
    instance. ID is also not shown to be a better explanation of the observations
    (or lack thereof).

     Wesley Elsberry wrote on talk.origins:

        "I 've read it. Dembski merely claims that one can *detect* "design".
        Detection is not explanation. Dembski's "design" is just the residue
        left when known regularity and chance are eliminated. Dembski's
        arguments that natural selection cannot produce "specified complexity"
        are, to say the least, highly unconvincing. If "specified complexity"
        exists at all, Dembski has not yet excluded natural selection as a
        cause of events with that property."

    http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/evobio/evc/argresp/design/rev_tdi.html
    http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/zgists/wre/papers/dembski7.html
    http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/ae/dembski_wa.html

    My hope is that our fellow Christians take notice of the arguments by
    Lamoureux et al in the book "Darwinism defeated?" and do not make the mistake
    of conflating naturalism with ontological naturalism and are willing to look
    at the available evidence based on its scientific merrits not on an erroneous
    link of the data to ontological naturalism.