Numerical Significance? (was The "Apparent" Trap)

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 09:25:42 EDT

    Chris
    Hi. I visited your sites, and looked at a couple of the pieces. I'm
    impressed with the sheer amount of stuff you have, but not with its claimed
    evidentiary value. This is because this sort of thing can be done with
    almost *anything*. You could easily "prove" the truth of the "Lord of the
    Rings" trilogy by this means, or you could *prove* that the claims of the
    Koran are true by the same method. It's just too easy for a person with a
    little familiarity with mathematics to come up with these kinds of
    "evidence." Since the same method can just as easily be used to "prove"
    things that are clearly false or even nonsensical, as well as things one
    might think true, I conclude that it's not a valid method of proving
    things, or of validating them at all.

    One of my epistemological "meta-rules" is: If a method of establishing the
    truth of some proposition can also be used to establish falsehoods, it's
    not a valid method of establishing the truth. The point of such methods is
    to *distinguish* between truth and falsehood, not merely to be able to
    pseudo-validate any idea someone comes up with.

    If we accept that coin-flips prove the truth of unrelated propositions,
    such as whether the Bible is true, then, if we flip a coin and it lands
    heads, we might claim to have proven the truth of the Bible. But, of
    course, the same method can be used by someone to claim to have proven the
    *falsehood* of the Bible. Since it apparently "proves" both sides of a
    contradiction, the coin-flip method cannot be valid. Your *method* is
    indiscriminate with respect to what you can seemingly validate with it, and
    indiscriminate with respect to truth, so, for the same reason that I reject
    coin-flipping as a valid method of proving things, I reject numerical
    twiddling. It doesn't *really* prove what it purports to prove.

    Vernon