RE: Blood clotting and IC'ness?

From: Nelson Alonso (nalonso@megatribe.com)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 11:51:05 EDT

    > > > Nelson:
    > > > An irreducibly complex systems can only be built simultaneously. Thus
    > > > physical precursors are eliminated as the designer. It can not be
    built
    > > > gradually , step by step.
    > >
    > >So, ID (which, presumably, is implied by the presence of IC) is not
    really
    > >about "design" but about the manner in which something is "built" or
    > >assembled?
    >
    > From an earlier post by Nelson:
    >
    >FMA:
    >Indeed, that ID can exclude a natural designer has been merely asserted.
    >
    >Nelson:
    >It is not an assertion. If I give you all the parts of the flagellum, you
    >cannot build it step by step through functional precursors.
    >
    >Ralph:
    >If you mean actually, physically, build it--no, I couldn't do that. But
    >it is even more beyond me, or any one else, I think, to build it
    >simultaneously, as you say an IC system *must* be built. If, as you
    >say, natural pathways to IC systems are not possible, then are we
    >beginning to zero in on your concept of what or who the Intelligent
    >Designer must be? 1.non-natural 2.more intelligent (and/or capable)
    >than us.
    >
    >Nelson:
    >I think you misunderstood me and I apologize if I was vague. However, when
    >say "you cannot build it step by step through functional precursors" I
    >really mean "you cannot build this system by mimicing natural processes".

    Ralph:
    I'm afraid the 2nd phrase is less clear than the first. Let's try it this
    way.
    If we assume a bacterium with non-mobile flagella (flagellum? I'm no
    expert),
    then you are saying there is no way that a molecular motor to make the
    flagella moveable can arise from strictly natural (mutational, etc.) means,
    even if you take small, intermediate steps. Is that what you mean?

    Nelson:
    Well bacteria use flagella to move. Otherwise this sounds right enough.

    >However, you are an intelligent agent, and therefore, you may build it by
    >adding multiple parts together, with foresight, and future usefulness. You
    >are natural selection with eyes.
    >These give some clues as to who the designer is, namely, an intelligent
    >agent with at least human intelligence.

    Ralph:
    Given our current level of knowledge about gene manipulation, I think we
    are a long way from being able to generate a working molecular motor in a
    biological organism that didn't already have one.

    Nelson:
    Well we can make stators , rotors, propellers etc. It doesn't take a
    "higher" intelligence to make them, and there is nothing preventing us from
    doing so, just advances in technology.We can make irreducibly complex
    systems. In the Conference of Molecular Nanotechnology held in 1998 they
    were actually able to make a motor much like the flagellum. There is also a
    patent on such a motor:

    Molecular Rotation Engine:
    Licensing Opportunity

    Description of Invention:

    The present application describes a molecular-based macroscopic rotating
    engine. The engine is constructed of two cylinders, one inner and one outer
    whose inner surfaces are coated with oriented mobility or contractile
    proteins. In the presence of ATP the cylinders rotate relative to each
    other. Speed of relative rotation is controlled by the concentration of ATP
    or by nesting a series of cylinders inside each other. Power is controlled
    by adjusting the length of the cylinders. One advantage of this technology
    over other macroscopic motors is that it can be used to supply power to
    prosthetic implants and medical devices without the drawbacks associated
    with conventional power sources. Other advantages are that the motor
    operates at room temperature, fuels can be prepared by growing sugar so the
    motor does not contribute to carbon dioxide pollution and the waste products
    are biologically safe.

    Inventor:
    Thomas D. Schneider (NCI)

    Patent Status:
    DHHS Reference No. E-018-99/0 filed 03 Aug 1999

    Portfolio:
    Devices/Instrumentation - Therapeutics, methods of using devices

    For additional information, please contact:
    John Fahner-Vihtelic
    Office of Technology Transfer
    National Institutes of Health
    6011 Executive Boulevard, Suite 325
    Rockville, MD 20852-3804
    Phone: 301/496-7735 ext. 270

    There is also this paper Anthony P. Davis "Synthetic Molecular Motors" in
    Nature that describe such processes. Even if all this was not true, it is a
    illogical to equate "future knowledge" that would allow us to build these
    machines with "non-natural higher intelligence". I'm not saying the designer
    is not a higher intelligence or God. I am just saying it is reasonable to
    say that the intelligent agent has at least human intelligence.