RE: Blood clotting and IC'ness?

From: Ralph Krumdieck (ralphkru@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 11:20:26 EDT

    > > > Nelson:
    > > > An irreducibly complex systems can only be built simultaneously. Thus
    > > > physical precursors are eliminated as the designer. It can not be built
    > > > gradually , step by step.
    > >
    > >So, ID (which, presumably, is implied by the presence of IC) is not really
    > >about "design" but about the manner in which something is "built" or
    > >assembled?
    >
    > From an earlier post by Nelson:
    >
    >FMA:
    >Indeed, that ID can exclude a natural designer has been merely asserted.
    >
    >Nelson:
    >It is not an assertion. If I give you all the parts of the flagellum, you
    >cannot build it step by step through functional precursors.
    >
    >Ralph:
    >If you mean actually, physically, build it--no, I couldn't do that. But
    >it is even more beyond me, or any one else, I think, to build it
    >simultaneously, as you say an IC system *must* be built. If, as you
    >say, natural pathways to IC systems are not possible, then are we
    >beginning to zero in on your concept of what or who the Intelligent
    >Designer must be? 1.non-natural 2.more intelligent (and/or capable)
    >than us.
    >
    >Nelson:
    >I think you misunderstood me and I apologize if I was vague. However, when I
    >say "you cannot build it step by step through functional precursors" I
    >really mean "you cannot build this system by mimicing natural processes".

    I'm afraid the 2nd phrase is less clear than the first. Let's try it this way.
    If we assume a bacterium with non-mobile flagella (flagellum? I'm no expert),
    then you are saying there is no way that a molecular motor to make the
    flagella moveable can arise from strictly natural (mutational, etc.) means,
    even if you take small, intermediate steps. Is that what you mean?

    >However, you are an intelligent agent, and therefore, you may build it by
    >adding multiple parts together, with foresight, and future usefulness. You
    >are natural selection with eyes.
    >These give some clues as to who the designer is, namely, an intelligent
    >agent with at least human intelligence.

    Given our current level of knowledge about gene manipulation, I think we
    are a long way from being able to generate a working molecular motor in a
    biological organism that didn't already have one. Therefore, I think I will
    stand by my previous prediction that your ID, as you propose it, has to
    have intelligence and/or ability greater than what we possess. Since I
    don't know of any natural entity that surpasses us in intelligence and/or
    ability, then I think I have to keep my prediction about your ID being
    non-natural, too.
    ralph