prima facie design hypothesis

From: SZYGMUNT@EXODUS.VALPO.EDU
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 12:27:45 EDT

    Hi Chris.

    You wrote:

    Chris
    That "Junk" DNA might turn out not to be junk has nothing to do with
    purpose or design; it has to do with biological function (if any). That
    Mike may have been *motivated* to do something by the design idea also has
    nothing to do with whether the design premise itself is *scientifically*
    useful. Also, you seem to be confusing purpose with function. A scientist
    can look for function without necessarily looking for design.

    And design is always a possibility. The question is, When does it become a
    viable hypothesis? The answer is: When it becomes *testable*. The
    theological version of ID is *defined*, by ID theorists themselves, in such
    a way that it cannot be tested or even *scientifically* detected. Put
    bluntly, the design theory, as an unqualified idea, with no actual design
    principle specified that could distinguish it *empirically* from
    non-design, or from other principles of design, *is* scientifically
    useless, as the vagueness and emptiness of your own examples show.

    Finally, your observation that it has not yet proved productive is an
    admission of precisely my point; it is *not* useful in this context. And
    there is a reason for it: There's no *evidence* of design in this case. If
    a large, smooth, metal spherical object with doors and portholes came from
    outer space and landed, gently, on Earth, a design hypothesis would be
    viable on a prima facie basis until and unless investigation discounted it,
    and, presumably, such a hypothesis would, at least in principle, be
    testable. But there is no similar basis for such a hypothesis in biology,
    and it is nearly always defined in such a way that it is *not* testable,
    because its supporters don't want to risk having it refuted by empirical
    facts. Why do you think Behe tried to find evidence *against* evolution
    (i.e., "irreducible complexity")? Because he couldn't find any evidence
    *for* design.

    Let me know when someone *actually* finds ID scientifically useful. It's
    main use, so far, has been to *attack* science (and naturalism).

    I'd like to explore the example you gave of the large, smooth,
    metal object with doors and portholes landing gently on earth.
    I appreciate your giving an example of a case where you think it
    would be appropriate, as a starting point, to make a design hypothesis.

    What I'd like to know is how this differs in any significant ways
    from what we see of the microscopic world of the cell from the standpoint
    of late 20th century molecular biology. I'm not saying there are
    no differences, just asking you to explain why you think a prima
    facie design hypothesis should *not* be made about complex biological
    systems (take your favorite molecular machine system if you want to
    be specific) while it *should* be made for the smooth sphere.

    Perhaps one reply would be that once upon a time
    (say 200 years ago) it was indeed an appropriate thing to do, but
    subsequent research revealed evidence that counted against
    the design hypothesis. In response one could argue (as I think Behe
    does) that in light of all that we know now about the cellular world
    that we did *not* know 200 years ago, it's time to re-evaluate the
    design hypothesis. But this is just one reply. What do you think?

    You clearly put a lot of time and effort into your posts, and I
    appreciate that. I look forward to your response.

    Stan Zygmunt
    Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
    Valparaiso University