Problems with selectionism, remarks on order, etc., etc.

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 16:18:27 EDT

    One of Stephen Jones' signature quotes:

    "I, for one, in spite of all the benefits drawn from genetics and the
    mathematical theory of selection, am still at a loss to understand why it is
    of selective advantage for the eels of Comacchio to travel perilously to the
    Sargasso sea, or why Ascaris has to migrate all around the host's body
    instead of comfortably settling in the intestine where it belongs; or what
    was the survival value of a multiple stomach for a cow when a horse, also
    vegetarian and of comparable size, does very well with a simple stomach;
    or why certain insects had to develop those admirable mimicries and
    protective colorations when the common cabbage butterfly is far more
    abundant with its conspicuous white wings. One cannot reject these and
    innumerable similar questions as incompetent; if the selectionist explanation
    works well in some cases, a selectionist explanation cannot be refused in
    others." (von Bertalanffy L., "Chance or Law," in Koestler A. & Smythies
    J.R., ed., "Beyond Reductionism: New Perspectives in the Life Sciences,"
    [1969], Hutchinson: London, 1972, reprint, p.65)

    Chris
    This is easy. Selection only works on variations. If different but still
    advantageous variations occur in different animals, they will each be
    selected for. Also, the environments and diets and other aspects of cows
    and horses, have been different. The mere fact that they are both vegetarian
    is only *one* fact to be taken into account. If one lives mainly on dry grass
    and the other on green alfalfa, they will have different digestive needs,
    despite the rather abstract fact that both dry grass and green alfalfa are
    vegetarian foods. *Exactly* why one went one way and the other another
    would have to be determined by a detailed examination of each case, but
    the point I'm making is simply that they *are* different cases, and von
    Bertalanffy treats them as if they should be the same because there is some
    slight similarity between them. If we take this route, we could say,

          Why are any species even slightly different from any
          other species? After all, all species we know of live on
          the exact same planet, and they all ingest nutrients.
          One cannot reject these and innumerable similar
          questions as incompetent; if the selectionist
          explanation works well in some cases, a selectionist
          explanation cannot be refused in others.

    Frankly, I would not have expected von Bertalanffy, author of a classic book
    on general systems theory, to make such a novice's blunder. But Jones
    caught him, fair and square.

    I would add that selectionism only explains what we see out of
    the totality of variations that would have occurred had there not
    *been* any selection. This is such a small portion of that totality,
    that only a special calculation could get to within a few orders of
    magnitude of the correct value, even if we knew early conditions
    of the first form(s) of life. Selection does not explain the origination
    of any trait, but rather the fact that that trait (or a precursor to it)
    is still around for us to explain.

    This is not a causal explanation of why the trait exists but rather
    why it was *allowed* to come into existence and stay in
    existence. Other, conflicting traits and other variations of the trait
    that may have occurred were selected away, leaving only the one,
    of those available, that "worked" the best.

    But, which ones were available and at which times and places, is
    a matter of chance. *Perhaps* the horse would be better off
    *now* to have taken the cow's route, but if the correct variations
    did not happen to occur, or did not occur at the right time(s) and
    places(s), then the horse has to make do with whatever variations
    on its existing digestive system actually *do* occur. Perhaps an
    increase in stomach acid, or some new enzymes, or whatever. The
    point is that not everything that might be good for a species may
    happen to begin to occur when it's needed. Perhaps the cow's
    stomach system is the result of a fairly major mutation that
    happened to be of some value, and which evolved over time (via
    other, smaller, variations) to the system cows use today (anyone
    here know about the evolutionary history of the bovine digestive
    system?).

    Variation is the real "driving force" in evolution, because, without
    it, there is nothing to select. Variation does not need selection, but
    selection *does* need variation. Selection is like irregularities in
    land guiding the flow of water, and the variations are like the
    water itself, water that, on perfectly flat land, would simply spread
    out in all directions evenly (see remarks on similes below).

    I'm sad to say that naive or conceptually incautious evolutionists
    have themselves been largely to blame for this fundamental
    misconception of the nature of naturalistic evolution. Even my
    own simile, above, is misleading, because it suggests that the
    variations are guided along channels by some sort of barriers
    corresponding to the banks of streams and rivers. This is not how
    process works, so let's try another metaphor. Imagine that each
    organism's genome has but two genes, and that these genes can be
    gradated so that they can be indicated on an X_Y grid by two
    numbers. Imagine that the offspring of each genome either occur
    exactly where the parent genome occurs, or only a small distance
    away, because the two genes can only vary a small amount for
    each generation. Then, imagine also that there are certain parts of
    the grid where the organisms that have these genomes are not
    allowed to exist. If their x and y values land them in one of these
    areas, there is a small but bright flash of blue light and a Zzzzt!
    sound, and it disappears from the grid. This zapping effect is
    selection at work. But, whether a particular genome's offspring
    ends up in these forbidden areas or not depends on the variations
    that occur, and how close to one of the boundaries the parent(s)
    are.

    To make the image simple at first, just imagine that everything to
    the right of 10 on the X axis is "forbidden" territory. Then, if an
    organism's genome has an x_value of 5, and variations only occur
    in increments/decrements of 1, its offspring will be okay. But, if
    the parent genome(s) are at 10 already, then it is possible that
    some of their offspring will be at 11. Zap!

    Notice that, in this way of looking at it, selection has nothing to
    do, directly, with variation. It limits what variations may occur
    only by limiting the locations of *existing* genomes on the grid.
    Thus, there won't very likely be any genomes that appear with an
    x_value of 30, because that's way too far from the *existing*
    genomes' range of variation. Thus, current variation is limited by
    *past* selection, but not by current selection. The *next*
    generation's variations will be limited by what happens to *this*
    generation's genomes.

    But, variation itself is not under any direct influence from
    selection, which occurs after the fact (except when/if it occurs
    *during* the DNA_replication process when a variation already
    produced somehow might corrupt the rest of the reproduction
    process and "kill" the offspring genome even before it was
    completed).

    Naturalistic (i.e., Darwinian, loosely) evolutionists need to get
    away from "explaining" things in terms of selection, even though
    there is a certain "intuitive" tug to explain things that way.
    Selection *does*, given suitable variations, explain why full_
    fledged, fully developed traits of a certain sort are present:
    Alternative, less_developed ones are constantly being selected out
    during evolution to fit a niche. But, at each step of the way, it is
    the variation process that provides the raw material to select on,
    and if it does not happen to produce one set of variations that will
    be allowed to continue, the result will be that *other* variations
    will be allowed to continue, thus producing a different organism,
    or the organism will go extinct or move to another suitable niche,
    if the local selection "pressure" is too great.

    Again, *variation* drives evolution. Selection *limits* evolution
    so that it can only occur along certain fitness pathways.

    Of course, things are complicated in the real world by the fact that
    the "forbidden" zones are constantly changing, but the principle
    still applies. Variations come spewing out and local requirements
    for survival and reproduction "zap" the one's that land in the
    "wrong" places on the "grid" (environment, internal viability,
    reproductive capability, etc.).

    Because these requirements are based on physics, chemistry,
    metabolic requirements, local environmental factors, and so on,
    and because these are lawful factors, they provide the substitute
    for the intelligence lacking in the variation process. In effect, the
    causal orderliness of the requirements for survival are
    "intelligence," because they select according to consistent
    "standards," standards that allow (some) orderly variations to
    survive but none that are too disorderly to function or to maintain
    themselves or to reproduce. In effect, the organisms we actually
    see *are* designed (in a metaphorical sense) by the systematic
    nature of the selection process. The "system" is not intelligent, but
    it is causally ordered, and it does systematically cull out
    disorderly genomes (often even before they develop a full
    organism to carry them around) and many that are orderly but not
    fit for the environment that they happen to be in. The result is that
    organisms *must* have a certain kind of orderliness in order to survive at
    all.

    Scientifically naive people interpret that orderliness as intelligent
    design because they don't see it in the context of the vast universe of
    *other* variations that would have occurred if all variations survived and
    were reproduced, nearly *all* of which would be genomes that could not even
    generate a phenotype, let alone reproduce on their own. Perhaps one
    trillionth of one trillionth of one trillionth of all variations would have
    recognizable order, or allow for phenotypes. Maybe more, maybe less. I
    don't really know, and I'm not about to undertake the years of study and
    calculation that would be required to develop a sound calculation to
    determine this. The point is that we only see orderly organisms because
    only sufficiently orderly organisms have ever been allowed to reproduce to
    provide a basis for further variations, only a tiny percentage of which
    will be both orderly *and* improvements. Order and lack of improvement
    would be more common, but, by far the vast majority would be disorderly and
    harmful. Even neutral variations would lead to disorder in future
    generations for the most part.

    I'm using the word "order" rather loosely here, because there is ultimately
    no such thing as true disorder. But there can be disorder relative to a
    perspective on order, such as that that we humans tend to develop. And
    there can be basic biological functional order that allows for the use of
    energy, etc., even if the local environment does not happen to "reward" it
    with the option of surviving and reproducing. "Disorder," from this
    perspective, would be genomes or phenotypes that could not even live as
    DNA-based organisms, or that could not live in the kinds of environments we
    consider to be environments for living organisms on Earth. If an organism
    is born with its eyes lodged in its digestive tract, we would consider this
    to be disorderly by an Earth-bound biological perspective. An organism that
    can't see and that can't eat or poop because of where its eyes are will not
    live long.

    The order we see in living organisms is due to their *simplicity* in
    certain respects. They have distinguishable features, in other words,
    features that we can see again and again, that can be studied and named. A
    really severely disorderly organism would be a contradiction in terms,
    because it would not be an organism at all. It would not have a digestive
    system, it would not have metabolism, it would not have *any* of the
    distinctive features of living things. A severely disorderly "tree" would
    not have leaves, because the genes that would normally lead to the
    development of leaves would be too broken up (too *disordered*) to function
    as genes at all. It would have *no* tree features except for being made out
    of matter, and even bare matter forces *some* order (each element has its
    own structure, it interacts with other elements in certain fixed ways and
    not in others, etc.).

    There is ultimately, as I said, no getting away from order. But *life* as
    such requires a certain orderliness as well, above and beyond that of mere
    matter. Survival and reproduction in strenuous environments require yet
    another "layer" of order of a certain type, to the exclusion of order of
    different types. It is unfortunate that the naive cannot see the difference
    between evolved order and genuinely intelligent design, but the differences
    permeate life at every level, in residues of evolutionary history, in the
    cumbersome excess complexity of cells, in the migration routes of organisms
    that have extended their migration distances as continents drifted apart
    (and now the distances are too great for a small adjustment to get them out
    of it), and in the incredibly hodge-podgy nature of all large genomes (and
    probably all small ones as well). None of these are conclusive against
    design, but they *do* count against it, and they *do* count *for*
    naturalistic, opportunistic, catch-as-catch-can evolution. We can predict,
    on the basis of evolutionary theory that organisms that have evolved
    through a long period of time through a wide range of environments and
    survival requirements will have these "design" flaws. We cannot predict, on
    the basis of the design premise (especially the *intelligent* design
    premise) that these things would be found. In fact, if we did not know
    better from empirical observation, and if we thought life was designed,
    we'd guess that life would be much different from what it turns out to be,
    because we'd guess that the designers would be intelligent enough, good
    enough biological engineers, not to design a kludge like the human wrist or
    the nerve pathways from the retinal cells in the human eye (the nerves go
    *in front* of the light-sensitive rods and cones, thus blocking some of the
    light). Things like the wrist *do* have evolutionary explanations, but no
    design explanations, unless you count "Well, that's just the way the
    designers chose to do it; who are we to question why the designers did
    things the way they did?" This last, of course, is not an explanation *at
    all*. It's the *evasion* of explanation. It's the assertion that what we
    *do* know (that other organisms have properly-built eyes, for example)
    should be *set aside* in deference to the mindless "Well, that's just the
    way they did it" excuse. It is a demand on the part of ID theorists that we
    ignore the *facts* of biological reality in favor of a belief in designers
    whose minds are not known and who, judging from their work, are *idiots*.

    Naturalistic evolution gives us a means of *understanding* why these crazy
    facts *are* facts, because it gives us a means of showing how they arose
    out of the accidents of history. These and many other facts make *sense*
    naturalistically, but they *don't* make sense in *intelligent* design
    terms. That's why ID theorists do *not* have an ID *explanation* for these
    facts. That's why they are forced to hem and haw and claim, totally without
    evidence, that their designer must have reasons of which we do not know.
    They are, in effect, using the *failure* of their theory to "justify" a
    bizarre *extension* of it. Now the designers are intelligent, but *we* have
    no means of understanding their intelligence. On what grounds then, can
    they be said to *be* intelligent?

    In short, ID theory demands that we are to subvert our ability to
    understand physical reality and even to think logically in favor of a
    nearly mindless acceptance of a belief in a gang of unknown idiots.

    This epistemological subservience to blind faith is the real horror. "Junk
    your knowledge of physics, chemistry, geology, and genetics! Throw out your
    knowledge of the history of life on Earth! Ignore the many facts of life
    that make sense in naturalistic terms but yield nothing but excuses and
    emptiness in intelligent design terms. Don't think, *believe!* Don't
    question the human wrist, take it on faith that the designers knew what
    they were doing; it doesn't work well, but who are *we* to question the
    wisdom of the great and wonderful designers?" Etc., etc., etc.

    (Sorry. Sometimes I get carried away by the endlessness of the evasions and
    nonsense and anti-science coming from the ID camp.)