Behe on theories

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 16:21:38 EDT

    Thomas Scharle posted this quote on talk.origins

     `If a theory claims to be able to explain some phenomenon but does not
    generate even an attempt at an explanation, then it should be banished.'
     page 186, Michael Behe, "Darwin's Black Box", Free Press, 1996

    So what does applying this standard to hypotheses about IC and ID lead to?
    What explanation is generated? So far it seems to me that ID specifies that
    an unknown and unspecified designer uses an unknown and unspecified method to
    design. Now assuming that design can be infered reliably, and there is
    significant doubt that it can, we now have evidence that something was
    designed. But since design includes no explanation it cannot explain the
    phenomenon of design. Design so far is infered from the absence of identified
    evolutionary pathways. It's not based on knowledge but absence of knowledge