Piecemeal genetic differences as support for macroevolution

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 12:52:47 EDT

    Hi Chris,

    I'm not sure what you are so eager to convince me of. I consider evolution
    an intriguing mystery. I agree it could have happened almost as you
    describe. You and I would always have a difference of opinion about details
    due to our different philosophies. I doubt you could turn me into a
    materialist. I believe life is comprised of things other than matter and the
    physical forces we now recognize. I have listed some of them (intelligence,
    consciousness, free will etc.) However I believe honest, intelligent people
    can have philosophies which differ from mine.

      I doubt random mutation and natural selection played much of a part in the
    creation of life's complexity. Regardless of how you define "random", to
    most people it means without purpose. Purpose may or may not exist, but I
    don't believe it can be ruled out. I've considered many explanations of
    life, including panspermia, Lamarckism, Kauffman's "natural order" and ID.
    I applaud all of them as efforts to find some explanation more convincing
    than "random mutation and natural selection".

     Design seems apparent to me. I accept the obvious unless I see convincing
    evidence to the contrary. I haven't yet seen convincing evidence that the
    apparent design in nature is an illusion. If ID supporters can develop
    convincing evidence for design, great. Maybe they can develop evidence that
    will convince some scientists but not others. In which case, each scientist
    can work under his own assumptions. Scientists who find a design inference
    useful will use it, and those who don't find it useful would be free to
    ignore it. ID supporters are not arguing for a change in the way science is
    conducted.

     What puzzles me is this emotional opposition to anyone even considering ID.
     ID supporters acknowledge RM&NS as a legitimate theory -- supported by
    evidence. Some of them even believe it played a part in evolution. I
    haven't heard ID supporters attack the motives, intelligence or honesty of
    those with whom they disagree. They don't appear to want to prevent anyone
    from considering RM&NS. ID offers a choice. While many of the details of
    biology and evolution are not always understood by laymen, everyone is
    entitled to an opinion on the general principles, such as whether nature is
    the result of a design or the result of random processes - whether purpose
    exists as a part of nature. When people are allowed a choice about beliefs
    for which there is no proof one way or the other, I'll lose interest in the
    controversy.

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan