Re: WWYD - What Would You Do to make evolution work??

From: billwald@juno.com
Date: Sat Sep 09 2000 - 21:19:53 EDT

    >As to how to implement evolution, I wouldn't change a thing.

    I agree with BERTVAN. Outside of changing the balance of atmospheric
    gasses and adjusting the mean temp there isn't much that could be changed
    and still have life. Considering the hundred or so discovered elements,
    doesn't covalent compounds require carbon? and only water is a good
    solvent for carbon based chemistry. Ionic bonds don't produce enough
    variety of chemials.

    Science fiction porposes silicon based life but there isn't any decent
    naturally occurring solvent in which it could develop? Sulphur based
    life? Maybe?

    As for the important stuff, charge on the electron, planck's constant,
    etc, can't change one thing without changing everything, Don't think so.
    I think life evolving anywhere in this universe would have to resemble
    some earthly life form.

    billwald@juno.com

    Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.