Re: evidence against Darwinism-there isn't any!

From: David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 10:19:44 EDT

    Regarding Chris' comments:

    >Also, if the universe is infinite, then there is no part of it that is a
    >closed system, so it would be unlikely that the entire universe would
    >settle into a low-energy state at the same time.
    >
    >The slightest difference in mass between two near-together volumes of space
    >would cause a *further* increase in mass in the area with more mass and a
    >decrease in surrounding areas, thus de-stabilizing an ever-larger volume of
    >matter and possibly leading to local "Big Bangs."

    I'm got exactly sure of what you are saying here, but if I read you
    correctly there is a problem with what you say. It is true that
    gravitational effects interacting with matter density fluctuations leads
    to an instability. That is why the universe is quite inhomogeneous in
    its matter density with its hierachically arranged distribution of matter
    and wide ranging regions of wildly different termperatures even though it
    seems to have been quite uniform and smoothly distributed all at a quite
    uniform temperature, pressure, etc. in the very early universe. The high
    density regions become more dense and the low density regions become less
    dense. I think the end of this process is not the formation of "local
    'Big Bangs'" but the formation of black holes and a background of very
    low temperature radiation.

    >The 2LOT only applies in situations where "normal" physics applies and
    >where there are not counteracting forces (such as gravity).

    The 2nd law *does* apply in the presence of gravitation (but the
    application is tricky). It's just that when gravitational effects are
    present that the system might not be able to smoothly equilibrate due to
    the effects of the above instability. It's more fair to say that large
    scale gravitational effects are incompatible with a conventional
    thermodynamic stability and a conventional approach to equilibrium
    (governed by LeChatelier's Principle) than it is to say that the 2nd law
    doesn't apply in such cases. It's true that LeChatelier's Principle
    doesn't apply though (as it is usually formulated). And the upshot of
    this is that any *final overall* "heat death" is very forestalled and
    still a *very* long way off (even though in one important sense the
    universe has been mostly already *in* its heat death from nearly the
    very beginning).

    >Besides, if 2LOT were in fact absolute and absolutely universal, even God
    >would not be able to get around it.

    Or, He would have just not choosen to get around it.

    David Bowman
    David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu