RE: No death before the fall theology

From: Dr. Blake Nelson (bnelson301@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 15:33:42 EDT

    I would also point out that atheism is a business for
    some people. I don't think, for example, Dan Barker,
    has a job outside of atheistic evangelism. Likewise,
    there are plenty of folks who make money off of
    promoting atheism not least of which Richard Dawkins
    (who got quite a nicely endowed "couch" as professor
    of public understanding of science in part because of
    his atheism -- the person endowing the chair viewed
    his militancy about atheism favorably), and other
    minor academics like Quentin Smith, who generate
    royalties and appearance fees. Of course, whether or
    not some people make money off of promoting atheism or
    theism has nothing to do with what the truth is.

    The sad thing I find about most atheistic evangelism
    is that it has a fair amount of severely misinformed
    evangelism (if not downright deceitful evangelism).
    Jim E. is a good example of this (the severely
    misinformed variety). Jim wants to say Christianity
    is X, and to be the most charitable, only a small
    percentage of people professing Christianity in fact
    believe X (if any at all). When presented with the
    fact that Jim's interpretation of this part of
    scripture or that is either not commonly held or
    simply a wrongheaded misunderstanding, he blithely
    ignores that. One, I suppose, has a right to be
    willfully ignorant, but Jim, you shouldn't make such
    sweeping pronouncements which are completely wrong.
    Likewise, sweeping statements about causality -- e.g.,
    Europeans are not christians because they understand
    science -- are easily testable hypotheses. And
    frankly, the data do not support the assertions, which
    is just another example of willful ignorance or
    intentional distortion.

    I still remember Jim suggesting that everyone who did
    not believe that Genesis amazingly tracked modern
    science was in peril of damnation or just plain
    ignorant. I suppose zealousness must find its outlet
    somewhere. Now Jim can be a zealous, if not
    particular well-informed, advocate of atheism. But
    seriously, Jim, most well-educated atheists, realize
    that science has nothing to say about Christianity
    vis-a-vis its truthfulness.

    I will do my best to resist replying to Jim's polemics
    in the future since there isn't much dialogue or
    information that takes place and it only encourages
    more ill-informed posting.