Re: death before the fall

From: Michael Roberts (michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 13:17:03 EDT

     To reply to Ted I agree that this is the most important theological issue
    driving YEC and also value Hitchcock's work.

    BUT, as Hitchcock pointed out in his Religion of Geology there was not a
    monochrome view linking death and the fall in Christian History . Yes Milton
    in Paradise Lost expressed that view forcibly but many writers from the time
    of Jesus did not follow the YEC line, some strongly some weakly. So when the
    discovery of life a long time before man became apparent in the 18th century
    many orthodox theologians had no major problems, though some did. We cannot
    expect earlier theologians to say that animals died 200 million years before
    man came along whne they had no evidence that animals even exiisted years
    before man. But a good number were not concerned that animals died and
    thought they were created with a finite life and did not link death to
    Adam.s sin.

    The YEC argument here is one of Rhetoric and has weak historical support as
    do most of their aarguments.

    Michael