RE: Evidence of The Flood

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 13:08:58 EDT

    >2. ...genetically there was evidence of an 'Eve' and that she appeared to be from the middle east...

    The genetic evidence for an "Eve" has sometimes been exaggerated, but there does appear to be a single ancestor for mitochondrial DNA (which is normally inherited only along the female line in humans) in the distant past, somewhere between a few million and 100,000 years ago. She appears to have been African rather than Middle Eastern. Also, because of the vagaries of inheritance, this person would not necessarily be the only female ancestor of humanity at that time, though probably one of only a very few. For example, if all modern humans are descended from the families of Shem, Ham, and Japeth, and if all their wives shared a common female ancestor more recent than Eve, then the divergences in modern mitochondria would trace back to her, not all the way to Eve. Also, if S, H, or J had only sons (or all his daughters only had sons, etc.), then the mitochondrial lineage found in his wife would be lost. Thus, if the Biblical Eve is the ancestress of all modern humans (a !
     debated point), she could be no later than the genetic Eve but probably would be earlier.

    >4. The canopy that I read about was not vapor, but an ice canopy over the whole earth<

    Another problem with the claim that the waters above the heavens of Genesis 1 formed a canopy which collapsed in the Flood is that it is unbiblical. Ps. 148:4 asserts that those waters are still there, after the Flood.

    >5. As far as the 'evidence' that seems to need to be described in order to be refuted (per the previous plate tetonics e-mails)- I seem to have read somewhere in the past that there have been fish and other sea creature fossils found in some very high and unusual places. I would guess that these are much too old to have come from The Flood, but for a creationist who believes that nothing is older than a few thousand years, that would seem like pretty convincing evidence.<

    This argument requires accepting the validity of geological evidence on past events.

        Dr. David Campbell
        Old Seashells
        University of Alabama
        Biodiversity & Systematics