RE: Evidence of The Flood

From: Debbie Mann (deborahjmann@insightbb.com)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 23:10:09 EDT

    I've just read through your Genesis web site articles, including a couple
    which you authored. The global or local article is very well written, makes
    many good points and is very easy to read. Your web site covers a lot of
    ground. I am amazed at the number of my 'weird biblical issues' that you
    have covered. Comments:

    1. I take issue with the assumption that the Biblical 'myth' came later than
    the other 'myths'. The Hebrews took their old 'Bibles' (scrolls) and buried
    them in the dirt so that they would return to dust. Yet, in spite of the
    manuscripts themselves not being particulalry ancient, many of the biblical
    'stories' have had their origins accurately placed in their expected ancient
    historical periods due to extensive circumstantial evidence and more than a
    little direct proof. It may be purely 'chicken and egg' to debate this, but
    I personally believe that there is sufficient reason to believe that the
    Hebrew 'stories' go back to the earliest history of man and that these are
    fairly accurately reflected in writings that have been passed down since
    sometime in the period of the Pharaohs. Their origins are at least as
    ancient as those of any other culture, though the material they are written
    upon may not be.

    2. Subject of race: I remember reading in U.S. News and World Report (at
    least that's where I believe that I read it) that genetically there was
    evidence of an 'Eve' and that she appeared to be from the middle east. Are
    you familiar with that article?

    3. The fact that the ark was nothing like anything built previously, that no
    known equivalent ship building existed, is of critical value to the story of
    the flood. Its artistic merit would be greatly reduced without that fact.

    4. The canopy that I read about was not vapor, but an ice canopy over the
    whole earth - something like the ionosphere, only lower. The supposition
    goes that there was extreme volcanic activity that caused reactions, which
    caused this to melt - causing rain. Further, they state that this was the
    first rain ever, that prior to that the earth was a great terrarium, watered
    by dew. Also, this canopy did increase the atmospheric pressure, making the
    earth one great hypobaric chamber. The pressure and the UV shielding, as
    well as genetic purity, is supposed to account for the long lives of
    everyone before the flood, and the sudden shortening of life spans after the
    flood. I'm sure, with the scope of material on the web page, that you have
    heard all this before. I've heard pieces of it from laymen from Ohio to
    Texas, seen it on the Discovery channel and have a little book about it. The
    rest of the theory involves geological activity under the earth which made
    room for the water to run off.

    5. As far as the 'evidence' that seems to need to be described in order to
    be refuted (per the previous plate tetonics e-mails)- I seem to have read
    somewhere in the past that there have been fish and other sea creature
    fossils found in some very high and unusual places. I would guess that these
    are much too old to have come from The Flood, but for a creationist who
    believes that nothing is older than a few thousand years, that would seem
    like pretty convincing evidence.

    6. If you ever get to Genesis 14, let me know.