Re: Plate Tectonics

From: Don Winterstein (dfwinterstein@msn.com)
Date: Sat Apr 19 2003 - 08:19:21 EDT

    I'm not terribly knowledgeable about plate tectonics, but since no one else has responded, I'll make a few comments that you might want to check out or include.

    >When scientists began bouncing radio waves off the moon they discovered something ..

    Did the moon measurements precede those on land? There are direct measurements of relative plate motion going on currently in California and other places. Unfortunately I don't recall the method. Maybe laser interferometry. Also, I'm fairly sure plate tectonics theory took root independently of any moon measurements. To suggest otherwise might be misleading. Press & Siever say the theory received its modern impetus from discovery of the mid-Atlantic ridge and associated phenomena.

    >.molten rock boils up in the center..

    ".hot, viscous rock wells up.."

    >The mid Atlantic rift is not quite a straight line ..

    Nothing like a straight line. Maybe: "The mid-Atlantic ridge extends the combined north-south dimensions of Europe and Africa and roughly follows the outline of those continents' western edge."

    >Relative ages of the rock, measured by radiometric dating techniques, increase going both east and west from the rift center.

    David Campbell says most such dates come from fossils at the sedimentary-igneous interface. The fossils have been dated from measurements on land, including radiometric dating of lava flows. Of course, this argument would be lost on YECs. I've never seen an indication that they recognize that fossils can be used for dating. If they did, they wouldn't contend that a single flood can deposit sediments several miles thick (with well-defined variations in fossils following a well-defined pattern throughout).

    >The age of the rock is the same at points that are equidistant from the middle of the Atlantic ocean, and increasingly older moving away from the rift.

    "Equidistant" is only approximate, and distances should be measured from the ridge, not the middle of the ocean. The really impressive observation is the symmetric pattern of magnetic polarity reversals, where the axis of symmetry is the ridge axis.

    >For example, the relative amount of decay isotopes present in rock 1,000 miles east of the rift will be the same as that contained in rock 1,000 miles to the west.

    Again, the distances are not that precise--as would be expected from a relatively messy process of magmatic extrusion combined with the transform faulting. Would be best to couch the dates in terms of their relationships to the symmetric magnetic striations.

    (Actually, the fact that the distances are _roughly_ equal suggests to me that the driving force may well have more to do with pressure from upwelling magma than from mantle convection or pull-down from subduction zones. [Don't include this!])

    >In addition, the iron contained in the deposits when the molten rock first reaches the ocean floor and solidifies, orients itself with the same polarity as the earth.

    "Magnetizable minerals" would be better than "iron." Also, ".align themselves with Earth's magnetic field."

    >Again, at equidistant points we see regular reversals in polarity many times in the last 200 million years since the continents were joined.

    To either side of the ridge we see a symmetric pattern of polarity reversals. These reversals took place at intervals ranging from a few thousand to 200,000 years.

    >.we see pole swapping clearly occurring in sine wave fashion.

    Clearly occurring at irregular intervals.

    Note: Help from Frank Press & Raymond Siever, Earth.