Re: Evidence of The Flood

From: Don Winterstein (dfwinterstein@msn.com)
Date: Sun Apr 20 2003 - 02:43:54 EDT

    Debbie Mann wrote:

    >.There have been fish and other sea creature fossils found in some very high and unusual places. I would guess that these are much too old to have come from The Flood, but for a creationist who believes that nothing is older than a few thousand years, that would seem like pretty convincing evidence.

    I've seen a fair number of mountaintop marine fossils. They certainly exist. However, the fossils were embedded in dipping formations that could be traced to locations miles below the surface in some adjoining basin. It's pretty obvious to one who has an open mind and who has looked at the details that the mountaintop fossil beds had reached their current heights by being uplifted. The animals now fossilized there were never living at those heights.

    What continues to amaze me is the gullibility of those who believe "nothing is older than a few thousand years." It seems to take very little for them to find evidence "pretty convincing." It makes one wonder: Were Jesus' disciples also so gullible? Jesus sometimes appeared to encourage credulity. Today the obvious gullibility of so many believers in itself tests the faith of those who possess a streak of skepticism. One might wish Jesus had not praised faith without evidence as much and encouraged careful discrimination more. Gullibility obviously cuts two ways: Might not those who eagerly embrace truth without evidence also eagerly embrace falsehood without evidence?

    Not a suitable Easter message, but as George says, this isn't a perfect world. The reality is that the manifest gullibility of so many diminishes the message of Easter for those who would like to believe but can't.

    Don