Re: Benjamin Wiker on ID (fwd)..Fine Tuning

From: Joel Cannon (jcannon@jcannon.washjeff.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 10:58:24 EDT

    George stole the first comment I was going to make when he noted that
    philospher Wiker's hype that "this was the most important movement to
    occur in the last 200 years, if not the last half-millenium" exceeded
    philospher Rob Koons statement that Dembski was "the Isaac Newton of
    Information Theory." Outside of their discomfort with the implications
    of evolution, do these philosophers have enough scientific knowledge
    to provide evidence to support their contentions. Undoubtedly not. I
    should retire from physics and become a philospher. Then I could
    practice Christian science.

    More to the point, Don Winterstein states that fine tuning lends
    support to his belief in a "Tuner." Presumably this means that since
    he has learned about fine tuning he has more confidence that the
    Christian God YHWH is real and that YHWH is discovered and known
    through the person of Jesus of Nazerath . By implication, Don would
    also have less confidence in Christianity's truth if no fine-tuning
    was observed (can't have it both ways).

    This seems to me to be quite sandy soil. In fact,it is evidence
    against Christianity's truth.

    At the heart of Christianity is the belief that YHWH has revealed
    himself most clearly through Jesus. The need to derive comfort from
    fine-tuning and holes in evolutionary theory is evidence that this
    revelation which is the doctrinal center of Christianity is not so
    reliable. If Jesus reveals YHWH, why go seeking solace from
    fine-tuning? If Jesus needs to be propped up by fine-tuning or holes
    in evolutionary theory, he is irrelevant to answering the question of
    God's existence. If Jesus is irrelevant to answering the question of
    God's existence, Christianity is false.

    > From: "Don Winterstein" <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
    >
    > Wiker expresses himself with lots of un-scientist-like flourish, but I can
    > ignore that. Are you implying here that no one has made discoveries about
    > cosmological fine tuning by searching for them? Wiker claims scientists
    > have done so. I don't know the answer, but if he's right, I wouldn't regard
    > such discoveries entirely as "theological & scientific dead ends." The many
    > documented instances of fine tuning for me lend a bit of support to my
    > belief in a Tuner. Isn't this one way that God might be revealing himself
    > in and through nature (Romans 1:20)?
    >
    > Don

    Joel W. Cannon | (724)223-6146
    Physics Department | jcannon@washjeff.edu