Re: Benjamin Wiker on ID (fwd)..Fine Tuning

From: John Burgeson (burgythree@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 14:29:28 EDT

    >>My understanding is that these successes have driven most cosmologists who
    concern themselves with the anthropic principle to retreat to multiple
    universe theories, where, out of many existing universes, ours by chance is
    the only one that happens to be finely tuned to support human life. >>

    I don't believe the "multile universe" theory posits that ONLY our universe
    can support life. Maybe some variation of it does, though.

    I am more entranced by the "practically infinite" universe theory which
    denys the Schrodinger's Cat interpretation of QM by positing that at such
    junctures the universe splits into two -- one where the cat is dead -- one
    where it is alive.

    The interesting thing is that this infinite universe theory CAN be
    empirically tested. So far that test has not been performed, AFAIK.

    Burgy

    www.burgy.50megs.com