Re: Benjamin Wiker on ID (fwd)..Fine Tuning

From: Joel Cannon (jcannon@jcannon.washjeff.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 15:55:15 EDT

    I thank Don for his thoughtful and honest reply. We all experience
    doubt in different degrees and for different reasons.

    While I do not want to dishonor Don's honesty, I would like to raise
    several points related to what he has said.

    First, I think that he would acknowledge that needing to deal with
    doubt by recourse to fine-tuning or other "design" arguments makes the
    Christian claim that God reveals himself most clearly in Jesus less
    credible.

    Second, the bible and Christian tradition holds that the primary sphere
    of YHWH's revelation is in human history. More particularly,
    Christians believe that YHWH revealed himself in the history of
    Israel, and has revealed hiself most clearly and most decisively in
    Jesus of Nazarath. To be complete, I should add that Christian
    tradition and the Bible also talk about having confidence because of
    through the Holy Spirit (the experience of God).

    If God's actions in history and Jesus are the ways YHWH has chosen to
    reveal himself, isn't that the most natural way for us to a) deal with
    doubt, and to b) engage unbelief? If people are going to make a
    decision to accept or reject Christianity, lets make sure as
    Christians that their decision hinges on the proper criteria. I can
    respectfully accept a person saying that she has looked at Jesus and
    decided Christianity is not true. I cannot accept as valid a person
    saying that I have observed impersonal forces and randomness in the
    universe, therefore Christianity is false. Its a logical non-sequitar.
    Perhaps a problem here is that we are too prone to treat Jesus as some
    abstract human figure preserved withing our tidy doctrine who delivers
    timeless truths, and who is largely, if not completely, disconnected
    from the particularities of the Palestinian Jew and peasant who was
    crucified by the Romans as an insurrectionist.

    In this vein three authors who have been very helpful to me in making
    Jesus more credible, and less easily dismissed have been Kenneth
    Bailey (Poet and Peasant, Eerdmans), N.T. Wright (Jesus and the
    Victory of God), and Richard Hayes (The Moral Vision of the New
    Testament, and Echoes of Scripture in the Letters of Paul). Bailey
    brings the proverbs alive because he lived in the Middle East for many
    years and because of that can reveal many of the cultural nuances in
    the parables that were obvious to people in NT times but are lost to
    us. Jesus fits and is more impressive when placed in his original
    context. Similarly Wright's strength is his knowledge of Roman and
    Jewish history and the various mindsets/worldviews that the Jewish
    people of Palestine. The events (at least most of them) make more
    sense with this background and Wright's insight.

    Third and finally, the intelligent design defense (and the Dawkins
    attack) and Don's sense of assurance from fine-tuning are based on an
    assumption of what God must be like (ironically ID's and Dawkins' are
    the same assumption). In making assumptions about God we are arguably
    likely to be wrong. Assumptions about God are to a large extent
    socially conditioned and ephemeral. As evidence for this, consider the
    fact, that at the time of Isaac Newton Christians considered the
    impersonal laws that Don finds to have "taken away" the witness of
    nature were themselves the evidence of intelligent design. Isaac
    Newton said, "Gravity may put ye planets into motion but without ye
    divine power it could never put them into such a Circulating motion as
    they have about ye Sun, and therefore for this as well as other
    reasons I am compelled to ascribe ye frame of this Systeme to an
    intelligent agent." (Quote from Michael J. Buckley, At the Origins of
    Modern Atheism, p. 134). (Note: astromers can now explain quite well the
    (nearly) cicular orbits of the planets)

    The assumptions can also be self-defeating. Consider that the metaphor
    that energizes Richard Dawkins, and gives evolution its anti-Christian
    traction was William Paley's watchmaker (hence the title of Dawkins
    book, "The Blind Watchmaker"). Paley, like Newton, felt that
    Christianity could be best justified (or defended) without reference
    to Jesus, the Holy Spirit, or anything else Christian. The reaction
    when Paley's assumption concerning how God must have acted turned out
    to be wrong was that Christianity was false. Now, rather than
    discussing Jesus and God's acts in history, we have Christian lawyers,
    engineers, mathematicians, and who knows what else staking the gospel
    on their ability to do evolutionary biology better than professional
    evolutionary biologists. Each time they attempt to argue, they
    reinforce their opponents' mistaken assumption that the person of
    Jesus is irrelevant the question of God's existence. They are
    defending Paley not the gospel (or their image of what Paley
    was---sorry Michael Roberts---Paley was arguably much deeper than his
    modern descendants).

    Enough,

    Blessings!