Re: Paraconformities (was test questions)

From: Bill Payne (bpayne15@juno.com)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 23:28:50 EDT

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 19:59:36 -0500 "Howard J. Van Till"
    <hvantill@chartermi.net> writes:
    Persons interested in this topic may be interested in reading Davis
    Young's chapter, "Making Mysteries out of Missing Rock" in Science Held
    Hostage (IVP, 1988) pp. 93-124.
    Given what I have recently learned about paraconformities, this was an
    interesting read. Young's use of "geologists" to describe scientists who
    agree with him, and his use of "scientific creationists" to describe
    those who take the YEC view is a bit irritating, tipping his hand to what
    I, as a geologist, find to be an arrogant, condescending attitude.

    Young's basic premise is that scientific creationists say that there is
    no evidence of erosion or chemical weathering at the contact of a number
    of Grand Canyon strata and therefore there can be no time break between
    the strata. Young then shows that there is indeed erosion at every break
    where there is a supposed time gap, and therefore scientific creationists
    are ignorant and geologists are right.

    I made the same statement - that there is lack of erosion and chemical
    weathering at these contacts; I stand corrected. Now that we have gotten
    past that point, let's look at Young's argument.

    On p 107 Young states: "Scientific creationists have stated that where
    the contact between Redwall and Muav or Temple Butte is exposed there is
    no obvious evidence of erosion. According to geologists McKee and
    Gutschick, 'At 11 of 21 localities examined, including most of those in
    eastern Grand Canyon, no evidence of an erosion surface could be detected
    at the contact: the surface appeared even and flat.' At the other ten
    localities, however, McKee and Gutschick found evidence for erosion -
    namely, the presence of shallow channels with minor relief excavated into
    the upper surface of the Muav or Temple Butte. The channels are
    typically filled, at least in part, by conglomerate containing angular
    fragments of chert, limestone or dolomite derived from the underlying
    Temple Butte or Muav Limestones. McKee and Gutschick concluded that
    'removal by beveling of a considerable thickness of Devonian strata in
    the eastern part of the region may be shown by the great eastward
    thinning of this formation (the Temple Butte) within a short distance and
    by the remnants of once-widespread Devonian strata preserved in isolated
    erosion pockets in eastern Grand Canyon and in Marble Canyon.' "

    So Young admits that at over half of the outcrops examined, "including
    most of those in eastern Grand Canyon, no evidence of an erosion surface
    could be detected at the contact: the surface appeared even and flat."
    Ten other localities did show evidence of minor erosion - "shallow
    channels and minor relief." So this is all of the evidence of erosion
    "of a considerable thickness of Devonian strata"? I would think of
    erosion that removed a considerable thickness of rock as a downcutting
    process producing valleys or canyons, but McKee and Gutschick concluded
    that the erosion was by beveling.

    I think this use of 'bevel' means to produce an oblique cut. The
    resultant planar surface cut across Devonian strata down to the top of
    the Muav. Perhaps Michael or others could explain how we get this
    extensive planar erosion with only "shallow channels [up to a whopping 8
    feet deep according to McKee and Gutschick] and minor relief," and other
    areas which show "no evidence of an erosion surface" even though they
    also were exposed to erosion?

    I find this data more compatible with sheet-flow erosion during a Flood
    than the assumed slow and gradual erosion resulting from uplift. Surely
    Michael can do better than to dismiss this data as "fleabites"???

    Bill

    Only $9.95 per month!
    Visit www.juno.com