Re: fine tuning

From: Josh Bembenek (jbembe@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 10:09:37 EDT

    But if form-conferring interventions (now called acts of intelligent design)
    >were going to be part of the picture anyway, why would a Designer go
    >through
    >the trouble of any fine-tuning (via thoughtfully setting the values of some
    >cosmic parameters) at all?

    -If I can butt in again....

    The fallacy here is the assumption that the fine tuning of the universe
    logically necessitates that it has evolved. Fine tuning does not mean the
    universe evolved. God may have created everything two seconds ago, in that
    case we would predict that the variables would be exactly as they are now,
    otherwise existence as it now is cannot stand. The present is upheld by the
    fine tuning, the history of the present is another question altogether.
    Indeed, the fine-tuning that we see may in fact be episodes of constant
    form-conferring intervention by God.