Re: Benjamin Wiker on ID

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 07:40:16 EDT

    Don Winterstein wrote:

    > George wrote:
    >
    > > ...The attempt to know God from nature, independently of revelation,
    > usually
    > > results in the construction of idols - of which the Intelligent Designer
    > or the God who
    > > "left his fingerprints all over the evidence" may be examples.
    >
    > St. Augustine in his Confessions describes how he came to know God first
    > through study and practice of Neoplatonism. Philosophy is nature perhaps
    > one step removed. After his conversion to Christianity, Augustine still
    > considered this religious experience to have given him valid knowledge of
    > God. It was, however, he concluded later, not saving knowledge.
    >
    > If by "revelation" you mean more than just Scripture, then Augustine's
    > Neoplatonic experience might be included. Abraham and Melchizedek, etc.,
    > obviously had no Scripture, but they had revelation. So I suppose I agree
    > with you if you're willing to accept a definition of revelation that
    > includes more than just canonical Scripture.
    >
    > However, I don't think people become idolaters by attempting to know God.
    > True idolatry--i.e., the setting up and worshiping of idols--is just the
    > natural human response to the "powers of the air." Implicit forms of
    > idolatry--such as the Bible worship that leads to efforts like "creation
    > research"--is often an attempt to substitute the authority of a thing for a
    > relationship with the Person. So implicit idolatry would be done to avoid
    > the attempt to know God. Who needs the Person if you have the Thing? Both
    > true and implicit forms of idolatry thus do not involve any effort to reach
    > God but rather detour around him.

            It's often hard to disentangle the effects of "revelation" (by which I mean
    "special revelation" if one wants a category of "general revelation" as well) and
    experience. Remember that Augustine's mother was Christian & that there were a lot of
    Christian influences on him as he was growing up. Of course his mother's influence
    wasn't "revelation" in the sense that the burning bush, e.g., was but it (like other
    Christian teaching) ultimately derives from revelation. Thus revelation played some
    role in his early life - as is the case with many people in a country like the US who
    aren't Christians but who in some degree or other have been exposed to symbols, stories,
    &c from the biblical tradition.
            & certainly there are aspects of other religions, philosophies &c that have
    things in common with the Judaeo-Christian tradition. One doesn't need revelation to
    conclude that there's one God, though you may have no clue _who_ that God is. There's
    good stuff in Plato (some of which, interestingly, some of the Fathers thought he'd
    gotten from reading Moses!) But there's also other stuff, & Neoplatonism wasn't an
    unmixed blessing for Augustine. E.g., it - & also his experience as a Manichaean - gave
    him negative attitudes toward the body that he never completely got over.
            By "revelation" in the primary sense I do _not_ mean Scripture, which is the
    authoritative witness to revelation. We don't know precisely how revelation came to
    many of the people in the OT - "In many and various ways God spoke to our fathers by the
    prophets." My broad characterization of revelation is "God's actions in the history of
    history which reach their culmination in the cross and resurrection of Christ." But the
    community which receives that revelation becomes a witness to it with the task of
    continuing to proclaim it.
            I do not deny the possibility of special revelation outside this community: The
    Holy Spirit can act when & where the Spirit wills. But one has to be very cautious
    about this because of the dangers of people mistaking their own fantasies for
    inspiration. In the present discussion what I'm dubious about is the idea that there is
    a "general revelation" kind of out there in the world & accessible to human
    investigation, kind of like scientific data. Sin means that people run away from the
    true God, like Adam & Eve. We don't find God, God finds us.
            I agree with the sense of your last paragraph, but people who set up idols
    generally don't do so with the _intention_ of abandoning the true God or detouring
    around him. They think that what they're worshipping _is_ the ultimate power in which
    they should place their trust. "Mortal, these men have taken their idols into their
    hearts" (Ez.14:3).
                                                    Shalom,
                                                    George

    George L. Murphy