Re: Benjamin Wiker on ID

From: Don Winterstein (dfwinterstein@msn.com)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 06:15:10 EDT

    George wrote:

    > ...The attempt to know God from nature, independently of revelation,
    usually
    > results in the construction of idols - of which the Intelligent Designer
    or the God who
    > "left his fingerprints all over the evidence" may be examples.

    St. Augustine in his Confessions describes how he came to know God first
    through study and practice of Neoplatonism. Philosophy is nature perhaps
    one step removed. After his conversion to Christianity, Augustine still
    considered this religious experience to have given him valid knowledge of
    God. It was, however, he concluded later, not saving knowledge.

    If by "revelation" you mean more than just Scripture, then Augustine's
    Neoplatonic experience might be included. Abraham and Melchizedek, etc.,
    obviously had no Scripture, but they had revelation. So I suppose I agree
    with you if you're willing to accept a definition of revelation that
    includes more than just canonical Scripture.

    However, I don't think people become idolaters by attempting to know God.
    True idolatry--i.e., the setting up and worshiping of idols--is just the
    natural human response to the "powers of the air." Implicit forms of
    idolatry--such as the Bible worship that leads to efforts like "creation
    research"--is often an attempt to substitute the authority of a thing for a
    relationship with the Person. So implicit idolatry would be done to avoid
    the attempt to know God. Who needs the Person if you have the Thing? Both
    true and implicit forms of idolatry thus do not involve any effort to reach
    God but rather detour around him.

    Don