Re: Benjamin Wiker on ID

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 07:33:31 EDT

    The god Augustine came to know through Neoplatonism is Pascal's "god of the
    philosophers"; Augustine had to discover the God of Jesus Christ through
    Scripture. A god of the philosophers is not necessarily a creator god.
    Aristotle's unmoved mover was not; his world was eternal, as was the world
    of other ancient philosophical systems. However they conceived of its
    "coming into being and passing away," its constituent elements were eternal.
    The ancients could argue that the world as presently constituted was
    intelligently designed (as Cicero did on Stoic principles in _De natura
    deorum_) without maintaining that the world was a creation.

    Bob Schneider