"Science falsely so-called"

From: SteamDoc@aol.com
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 23:48:06 EDT

    Most of us have probably seen the misuse of the KJV rendering of I Tim. 6:20
    used in "creationist" arguments. I'm aware that the word in the Greek is
    some form of "gnosis" and should simply be translated as "knowledge."

    A question that has come up with a correspondent is whether there is any
    possibility that Paul could have had science in mind when writing that. Was
    there a different Greek word meaning "science" (to the limited extent that
    science existed at the time) that would have been used had Paul meant that?
    If so, it would seem to rule out nearly 100% any idea that Paul was warning
    Timothy against falsehood specifically in the guise of science. Not that
    that seems very likely anyway, but some people have had "science falsely
    so-called" drilled into their heads for so many years that it is hard for
    them to read it any other way.

    A side question if Ted Davis or some historian happens to know:
    I think Harry Rimmer in particular liked to use the phrase "science falsely
    so-called." Did others ever take him to task for this usage that can't be
    justified by the original text? If so, did he have anything to say in
    response?

    Dr. Allan H. Harvey, Boulder, Colorado | SteamDoc@aol.com
    "Any opinions expressed here are mine, and should not be
     attributed to my employer, my wife, or my cats"