Re: "Science falsely so-called"

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 23:04:40 EDT

For what it's worth, Little Kittel notes that Paul was faced with
polytheism and pagan Gnosticism, which influenced his usage of the terms
for knowledge, understanding, recognition, etc., which spring from the
same root. It notes that gnosis in Gnosticism is knowledge of God, which
can only be attained by turning away from the world. This is contrary to
the source for scientific knowledge. This special Gnostic knowledge is
not intellectual, but a matter of gift, that is, illumination by ecstatic
or mystical vision. The preparation is an esoteric knowledge imparted by
the advanced initiates. This sounds rather like Zen. This knowledge is
the basis of salvation/eternal life for it involves gaining the divine
nature. No wonder Paul recognizes it as mislabeled.

Something I find curious is that there is no reference to I Tim. 6:20,
but only to 2:4, along with II Tim. 2:19, 25; 3:1.
Dave