Re: Watershed

From: Stein A. Strømme (stromme@mi.uib.no)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 05:39:43 EDT

    [PHSEELY@aol.com]

    | In Psa 22:3 (4 Hebrew), David speaks of being saved "from my enemies." This
    | phrase is spelled waw, mem, nun, and a second word aleph, yod, beth, yod. In
    | I Sam 22:1 ff is the same Psalm, but in v. 4, this phrase is represented by
    | one word, so the nun is missing. One is the inspired original, the other is a
    | scribal change. So now the queston is: If a clever person by various
    | mathematical processes found a pattern of some kind (whether to do with pi,
    | e, triangles or whatever) which was stunningly impressive, but it was based
    | upon the scribal change rather than the inspired original, would that pattern
    | show that this Bible verse was of divine origin----even though it was not
    | based on the original letters inspired by God?

    Another possible take at this (no comparison with Vernon here, though :)
    would be along the lines of Ivan Panin

        (http://tanana.iarc.uaf.edu/panin/panin.html),

    whose lifelong study of detailed biblical numerics actually led him to
    publish his very own version of the Greek NT, where presence of certain
    numerical patterns where used as a decision criterion between variant
    readings, and even with numerically-induced "corrections". His basis
    was the Westcott & Hort edition

        (http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/GNT/books.html),

    which he hailed as the best of all published editions before his own.
    This is slightly ironic, in view of the massive campaign later
    launched by evangelicals against biblical criticism,

        (http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/rlister/wh/wh.htm)

    is but one example turning up on Google.

    Stein

    --
    Stein Arild Strømme  <http://www.mi.uib.no/~stromme>