Re: Surprise

From: Dick Fischer (dfischer@mnsinc.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 11:32:30 EST

    This is a true story that I used in the book. I think it fits this
    discussion.

    In the early stages of World War II, a crippled British Lancaster was
    returning
    from a midnight bombing raid on Nazi Germany. The valiant crew nursed their
    war plane back across the North Sea in a desperate effort to reach friendly
    soil. Lower and lower they sank until they were barely skimming the waves.
    Finally, just minutes before they would have made landfall, the crew was
    forced
    to ditch, belly landing in the black water just a few miles from the Scottish
    coast.

    None of the crew was injured in the crash landing, all escaped safely, but
    there was not time to launch a life raft from the rapidly sinking plane. An
    overcast sky accompanied by a total blackout, part of the defensive wartime
    posture, gave no clues to lead them to safety. So they floated together,
    supported by their leather bomber jackets, and waited patiently for the first
    rays of sunlight to guide them to shore. Then, what had been life support
    became life threatening.

    Although flotation cartridges were sewn into each leather jacket, what must
    surely seem odd to us now, they had not been tested! The jackets floated at
    first, but after hours of submersion, the leather soaked up water and became
    leaden. To their horror, the buoyant jackets turned to deadly anchors.
    Before
    daybreak every crew member had been dragged beneath the waves except one.

    The navigator, John Haffenden, had been a champion swimmer as a boy. Shedding
    his water-logged flight gear, he tread water slowly until the first rays of
    sunlight coaxed the faint coastline out of the mist. Then he began to swim.
    Stroke after stroke he labored to reach shore seven miles from the ditched
    plane. At one point a cramp seized his calf. Treading water with one
    hand, he
    massaged his leg with the other until the cramp began to ease.

    On he plodded through the water until cramps struck both legs. The pain was
    more than he could bear this time. Still short of the coast, he gave up and
    prepared to drown. Closing his eyes and lying back, slowly, he let his feet
    sink. They touched sand!

    Though still short of land, he stood on a sand bar with his head barely out of
    water until the cramps eased. After a brief rest, he resumed swimming until
    eventually he reached shore. Weary and trembling with cold, he clambered out
    of the sea only to encounter another peril. The beach was mined.

    As if land mines were not enough of a hazard, this particular stretch of beach
    was a bird sanctuary, and this happened to be nesting time. Not recognizing
    him as anything special, the alarmed birds treated this RAF navigator like any
    other predator and began dive-bombing him. With no time to sit around and get
    pecked to pieces, he scrambled zigzag fashion up the beach, scooping up
    handfuls of sand and tossing them over his back to shoo away the attacking
    birds dreading an explosion with every step.

    After clearing the hazards of the beach, Haffenden spotted a coastal lookout
    post in the distance, and off he hiked across the rocks and sand. An elderly
    coast guard volunteer had just begun his watch, and was brewing a pot of
    tea to
    warm himself and bolster his morale for another day of dreary solitude.
    Suddenly the door opened, a man wearing only a wrist watch stood silhouetted
    against the gray morning sky, and voiced a quiet request, "I'll have a cup of
    that, if you don't mind."

    Haffy, as he was called affectionately, received a hero's welcome. RAF bomber
    crews were issued American "Mae West" flotation gear they used for the balance
    of the war. When a navigator was needed to transport Winston Churchill to
    Yalta to meet with President Roosevelt, John Haffenden was chosen.

    After the war, Haffenden married and started a business in London. His son,
    Raymond, grew up there and became part of the company. He married and had two
    sons.

    Now, let us ponder for a moment. To what extent do Raymond and his sons owe
    their very existence to a sand bar placed conveniently in the North Sea? That
    incident in World War II is but one event in a gigantic spider web of
    interconnected events that impacted their lives, and mine, and countless other
    lives as well.

    Who among the living today have fathers or grandfathers who were RAF bomber
    crew members, and floated in the ocean waters supported by Mae Wests, and
    thanks to American ingenuity, survived the war? Who would have been born, had
    it not been for the untimely death of their potential fathers, and thus were
    deprived of the opportunity for life?

    Was Haffy simply fortunate in contrast to his unlucky crew members? If luck
    was involved, then are the offspring the fortuitous results of a
    roll-of-the-dice process? How many other, seemingly unrelated, fortunate
    events have taken place to bring into being favored creatures who only got
    here
    because of accidental events throughout eons of time? If that is the answer,
    then let us set up an idol, call it Serendipity, and offer our gifts.

    Perhaps destiny guided John Haffenden to a submerged sandy plateau that
    shifted
    into place just so by capricious sea currents. Or was the sand bar itself
    shaped by invisible forces planned in advance for a rendezvous that would save
    his life and allow for future lives? Was he destined to live? Were the
    others
    fated to die? If so, why? What has been predetermined, and what has been
    left
    to chance?

     Was there a particular reason why this one man escaped death? Was it for the
    benefit of his unborn son or one of his subsequent descendants who will some
    day father or mother a future prime minister? Was some special person the
    express reason for a series of unseen interventions making this event just one
    of many?

    Were the winds of fate blowing in the North Sea on that day for the benefit of
    someone destined to play an important role in the future - a role which would
    have been thwarted had the Nazi gunners achieved total success? Was there a
    purpose known only to Providence that required intercession?

    Did God, Himself, go out of His way and take special effort to guide one
    particular RAF crew member in an act of mercy? Was the fate of the entire
    crew
    directly in the hands of a sovereign God, who decided on the spot who would
    live and who would die? Or had the die been cast since the beginning of
    time?
    Was it that Haffenden lived and the others died because otherwise, there would
    have been no sons or daughters, who had to be born, since God knew them since
    before time began?

    Did God's hands perform a specific act of clemency and perform a miracle to
    ensure future events? If this is the answer, then God must be an
    interventionist who interacts from time to time so that what He wants to
    happen
    will happen. In between would be just free-wheeling.

    Instead of the whims of chance, fate, or sporadic divine intervention, let us
    look at one of God's characteristics for the answer. We know that God is
    omniscient or all-knowing. Matter, space, time, and energy were created by
    God, but He is not governed by, nor bound by, His creation. Time is within
    God's domain, not the other way around. Thus, God knows the end from the
    beginning and all the events in between.

    We are bound by time. Completely subject to past events, we are locked in the
    present, and experience the future moment by moment as we move through
    space-time. God is not so encumbered. He transcends time, the future is as
    clearly visible and knowable to Him as the present is to us. To quote
    James L.
    Christian, author of Philosophy: An Introduction to the Art of Wondering:
    In the mind of God, there is no "before" or "after" there is only a "now." In
    "God's experience" all events occur simultaneously. To put it another way,
    all
    the past and all the future "that is, our past and future" exist together in
    God's present.

    God does not push us along with constant or intermittent intervention to
    get us
    where He wants us to end up. Seeing the complete rainbow of time, Haffy's
    offspring were as known to God when Haffy stood on the sand bar, as they are
    today.

    This does not negate miracles. God is quite capable of performing miracles,
    but even miracles are foreknown. In essence, we live in a miracle. This
    universe and the world we live in is a wonder of God's creation. He initiated
    a miracle, and sustains the miracle, according to His divine Will. Life
    itself
    is miraculous, but it is not necessary to call for divine intervention at
    every
    juncture. It may seem paradoxical at first that we can believe in God's
    wonders, but need not invoke miracles in the procession of life. Yet this is
    no different than the seeming paradox of predestination versus free will.

    As the First Cause of all events, this is not to say that God is the causer of
    all events. His knowing the future does not preempt our free will. We are
    given the freedom, without divine control, to make our own uncoerced choices
    from among any number of alternative courses of action. We choose from
    available options, and make our decisions, either in His Will or against His
    Will.

    We alone decide, guided by intellect, circumstance, habit, instinct, advice,
    prayer, etc. If we make bad choices we endure consequences, although God can
    make good come from bad. So we may suffer. He does not.

    When we select proper choices God desires for us, we prosper and receive
    blessings. Does He agonize over the choices we make, wondering what we
    will do
    from moment to moment? No, the choices we make God knew about before the
    beginning of time.

    That British war plane could have crashed hundreds of miles from shore.
    Haffenden could have commenced swimming in any direction; his legs could have
    cramped anytime; he could have given up at any point; the sand bar could have
    been anyplace. Yet, it was all foreknown. There was no necessity for God to
    take specific, miraculous, or intermediate actions along the way. The events
    simply moved along a time line that was already known to an omniscient God.

    In the words of Paul, "According as He hath chosen us in Him before the
    foundation of the world ..." (Eph. 1:4). Also from Romans 8:29: "For whom He
    did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of His Son
    ..." Considering all of us were known to God from the beginning, then the
    events that caused us all to be born into the world also must have been
    known.

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
    "The answer we should have known about 150 years ago."