Re: Surprise

From: dfsiemensjr@juno.com
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 15:52:32 EST

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2000 13:45:35 -0500 Moorad Alexanian
    <alexanian@uncwil.edu> writes:
    > I do not quite follow. If God is not embedded in time, how can He be
    > "surprised" by future events? God views us as we view world lines in
    > general
    > relativity. The whole history is laid down before His "eyes"!
    > Moorad

    Moorad, I like your analogy. As you note, the time lines are actual for
    God though only theoretical for us. We can only trace a limited set of
    time lines, but all are always in God's view, and he does not have to
    focus on one at the expense of others, as we do when we pay attention to
    something.

    Burgy wants God to be surprised, as he is surprised, by what he does.
    Because motivation--in its broadest sense--is opaque to us, we often ask,
    or want to ask, "Why on earth did you do that?" The response, if the
    question is asked, may be a rationalization, a partial reason, or the
    admission, "I don't know." Invariably, if a motive is mentioned, it will
    be lofty. When the question is, "Why did I do that?", agnosticism is the
    usual response. But why must my entire being be opaque to God? The
    psalmist was dealing with this when he asked "Whither shall I go from
    they spirit? ..." (139:7-12, 15-18).

    The only way for God to be surprised is if his knowledge and power are
    limited. But then we have something like process theology, and, as I
    wrote earlier today, a fear that things will be destroyed because of
    something it (not he) did not foresee. The Son emptied himself and became
    flesh, sharing our limitations while retaining deity. But to ascribe some
    such limits to the Trinity does not provide for a Creator, but only a
    _deus in machina mundi_, not even _ex machina_.

    Another problem is that Burgy, without recognizing it, is making his
    deity in his own image. This is not a proper part of orthodox Reformed
    theology, though some quasi-Calvinists I have encountered espouse it.
    They remind me of the woman who told my wife, "I don't believe in worms."
    She was dogmatic because she did not understand anything about intestinal
    parasites. I'm dogmatic on the other side because I've seen them. The
    difference is that Burgy is not dogmatic.

    Dave