Re: Perelandra (a reply to D. Campbell)

From: Charles F. Austerberry (cfauster@creighton.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 15:08:27 EST

    Dear David:

    Thanks for your reply. Yes, Enoch and Elijah and our Lord stand as
    examples of some alternative means of passing from earth to heaven. I also
    agree that our communion with God is broken by our own disobedience. I'm
    just not sure that our ancestors ever experienced even an instant of
    unbroken communion.

    And you're correct, C.S. Lewis did not dismiss evolution entirely. I just
    don't recall where he wrote about theology being informed by evolution in a
    positive way (but I'll try to look up his statements in _Mere
    Christianity_). I do recall an essay he wrote about evolution having
    become more than science, having become a myth in our culture that needed
    to be recognized as just a myth.

    Some theologians have really grappled with evolutionary science. I want to
    learn good stuff from them. Problem is, I'm hearing different things from
    different theologians whom I respect. Some of the differences are probably
    not really contradictions, but some seem to be. Among the theologies I see
    two strains, one which embraces evolution but discounts evil and God's
    wrath, another which emphasizes evil and God's wrath but discounts
    evolution.

    - Peacocke and Haught and de Chardin are examples of the first strain.
    They speak of Darwinism as a theological blessing (even if in disguise),
    while those who disagree denigrate such evolutionary theology as
    "theological positivism." Currently I'm reading John Haught's _God after
    Darwin_. In his chapter "Darwin's Gift to Theology," he writes:

    "Reflection on the Darwinian world can lead us to contemplate more
    explicitly the mystery of God as it is made manifest in the story of life's
    suffering, the epitome of which lies for Christians in the crucifixion of
    Jesus. In the symbol of the cross, Christian belief discovers a God who
    participates fully in the world's struggle and pain. . . . Hence Darwin's
    idea will indeed prove to be dangerous after all - dangerous not to
    theology as such but certainly to all the shallow theologies of order that
    ignore the divine attributes of co-suffering, or com-passionate
    involvement, in the life process." (p. 46)

    And in Haught's chapter entitled "Religion, Ethics, and Evolution," he does
    a very interesting thing with the Garden and the Fall:

    "What, then, might original sin mean? . . . in this setting original sin
    means that each of us is born into a still unfinished, imperfect universe
    where there already exist strong pressures - many of them inherited
    culturally over countless generations - for us to acquiesce in an
    indifference to God's creative cosmic aim of maximizing beauty." (p. 138)

    "However, the awareness of this sinful state of affairs can occur to us
    only if we also already have at least some sense of what the "ideal"
    (nonsinful) situation would be like. Religions can make us deeply aware of
    our flawed condition only by providing us with vivid symbolic portrayals of
    an "essential" condition . . . free from the suffering and evil that beset
    us now. . . after Darwin, . . . we locate the "essential" or ideal world
    "up ahead" . . .(p. 139)

    "By making this adjustment in the ideal or "essential" world's temporal
    coordinates, moving it from the mistiness of the ambiguous past to the
    always faithful future, we not only render the notion of original sin
    completely compatible with evolutionary science but also give a
    significance to cosmic evolution . . ." (p. 140)

    Peacocke and de Chardin and others have written somewhat similarly.

    Now, the second strain I see is exemplified by Helmut Thielicke in _How the
    World Began_ (Fortress Press, 1961). In his chapter entitled "The Mystery