Re: Surprise

From: Brian D Harper (bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 21:54:35 EST

    At 10:39 AM 2/22/00 -0700, you wrote:
    >Dick Fischer wrote: "But if God can be "surprised" by future events, then
    >"those He foreknew were predestined" is a hard verse to reconcile with
    >that point of view."
    >
    >Why?
    >
    >One is not irreconcilable with the other at all, Dick.
    >
    >I know that someday I will die. Along the way to that event I am all too
    >often surprised by events.

    >God knows I am of the elect. (I'm Presbyterian, BTW, one of the "frozen
    >chosen."). Yet he MAY (note the absence of a strong claim here) be
    >surprised at some of the goofs I make along the way, goofs performed
    >because I am not a robot. Hopefully, he may well be surprised at some of
    >the better stuff I do too!
    > < G >
    > Burgy

    Hi Burgy, as always I appreciate your comments.

    It is remarkable to me that even though I disagree with you on many aspects
    of the
    origins debate, I almost always agree with you on theological issues. I
    agree here
    almost completely, except for the last paragraph. I believe I am of the
    elect now,
    but have not always been. It could have been otherwise. I know that some
    don't like
    this, but I won't apologize for it. As a good Southern Baptist I accept
    both predestination
    and free will simultaneously since the Bible teaches both. But when the
    rubber meets
    the road, I always go with free will. Yes, I know this is difficult, but so
    is the alternative.

    My answer to the question above ("those He foreknew were predestined") is
    to go look
    at Ephesians.

    Let me quote Ephesians 1:3-14, adding my emphasis for the point I want to make

    "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us
    *in Christ* with
    every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us *in
    him* before the foundation
    of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. He destined
    us in love to be
    his sons *through Jesus Christ*, according to the purpose of his will, to
    the praise of his glorious
    grace which he freely bestowed on us *in the Beloved*. *In him* we have
    redemption through his
    blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his
    grace which he lavished
    upon us. For he has made known to us in all wisdom and insight the mystery
    of his will, according
    to his purpose which he set forth *in Christ* as a plan for the fulness of
    time, to unite all things *in him*,
    things in heaven and things on earth. *In him*, according to the purpose of
    him who accomplishes
    all things according to the counsel of his will, we who first hoped in
    Christ have been destined
    and appointed to live for the praise of his glory. *In him* you also, who
    have heard the word of truth,
    the gospel of your salvation, and have believed in him, were sealed with
    the promised Holy Spirit,
    which is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of
    it, to the praise of his glory."

    Again, *emphasis* added. My interpretation of this is quite simple. If I am
    not in Christ, I am
    not one of the Elect. I can freely choose whether to be *in him*. All the
    above promises apply
    to Christ, I become part of it by choosing to be in Him.

    Brian Harper | "If you don't understand
    Associate Professor | something and want to
    Applied Mechanics | sound profound, use the
    The Ohio State University | word 'entropy'"