NONA?...not

From: Nucacids@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 19:03:42 EDT

    Hello people,

    Since the ARN forum is down for now, I thought I'd check in on the
    old Calvin reflector to see what's up.

    In another posting, Howard Van Till wrote:

    >When all the rhetoric is over, however, the fundamental working meaning of
    >ID is most evident in the examples offered for "empirical evidence that X
    >was designed." Nearly all such "evidences" have as an essential component
    >the assertion that, "since object X has quality Y, it could not have been
    >assembled (for the first time) by any natural means."

    That is not the fundamental working meaning that I employ. My meaning
    is more along these lines: "since object X has quality Y, it's ultimate
    origin
    is best explained by a teleological cause." However, I can understand why
    critics of ID would want me to argue that something "could not have been
    assembled" by non-teleological means, as that would be baiting me into
    trying to prove a negative.

    >Once again I say that what its proponents (strategically and misleadingly)
    >call "Intelligent Design Theory" is nothing other than "NOn-Natural Assembly
    >Theory." Furthermore, since ID really means NONA, all talk of "natural"
    >designers (assemblers) is irrelevant to what the chief proponents of NONA
    >(mislabeled 'ID') are striving for.

    No, I view ID as a TAT (Teleological Assembly Theory) and TATs can come
    in at least three forms concerning this issue: 1. Key origin events owe their
    occurrence
    to intelligent intervention; 2. Teleological origin events front-load systems
    and
    thus constrain their subsequent development and evolution; 3. The process
    of evolution itself was designed. And of course, none of these three paths
    are need by mutually exclusive and I am finding each one to be quite fruitful.

    Mike