Re: WHY DOES THE UNIVERSE WORK?

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 16:38:20 EDT

    At 02:24 PM 09/29/2000, you wrote:
    > >Bertvan:
    > >The Darwinists are the ones who claim to know for certain that intelligence/
    > >mind/motivation/free will/Teleology play no important part in natures
    > >processes.

    Susan
    >You keep asserting this in spite of the fact that you have been shown over
    >and over again that science merely says that *if* anything on that list
    >above causes evolution, it is not detectible by science. *You* have
    >interpreted that to mean that "Darwinists" are making such a claim.

    Bertvan
    > >As a result they have ended up with a theory that most people
    > >don't find credible, but no one can think of an alternative.

    Susan
    >I think you are quite wrong about "most people." Creationists don't find it
    >credible. People who know nothing about biology, anthropology, geology,
    >physics, cosmology or paleontology don't find it credible. People who
    >examine the actual evidence are, more often than not, convinced that
    >evolution occured. The bugbear about "materialism" is just a bugbear.

    Chris
    I disagree. I think it's a *wormbear*.

    But, it *is* interesting that the more *detailed* the examination of the
    evidence, the *less* it seems like design. For just one example, once we
    look closely at "irreducible complexity," it becomes obvious that it only
    excludes one small class of pathways (and the claim that it excludes even
    all of them may be premature). When it's exposed to closer examination,
    irreducible complexity as a "barrier" to evolution dissipates like morning
    fog over a hot desert.

    Also, since many *non-*materialists, like Howard, *agree* with us about
    evolution and science, you will have a hard time making a case that we
    died-in-the-wool "materialists" are trying to "impose" anything on anyone.
    What we are trying to do is get intellectual pre-hominids to quit filling
    the gaps in their knowledge and thinking skills with attractive nonsense
    and gross illogic.

    I think Howard's supernaturalism is definitely false, but, with respect to
    science, I may have no disagreements with him at all. Science, as such,
    does not have *any* disagreements with non-materialism as such. It's
    specific "brands" of non-materialism that cause trouble. I think the
    underlying epistemological premises will always tend to lead to brands of
    non-materialism that *do* conflict with science, but this conflict is not
    *inherent* in non-materialism in its own right. Kepler and other scientists
    of his age were mostly theists. But their views of theism were more like
    those of Howard than those of Jones, Johnson, and the ID movement.

    They thought, in effect, "Okay, God made the Universe, but he doesn't
    constantly interfere in it. Let's "read the mind of God" by finding out how
    things *actually* work." Given their presuppositions, this was truly a
    great enterprise. But modern "scientific" creationism and ID theory are
    back to the gods-in-the-bushes view, in which God interferes in individual
    events, because, apparently, He is *unable* to create a universe that can
    then go on to generate life on it's own, *without* further intervention.

    This is supported (albeit only mildly) by the failure of *any* ID supporter
    on this list to provide a modified "design" for an Earth that is as much
    like ours as possible and that yet that *can* generate and evolve life
    without intervention. The same is true of the failure to provide *evidence*
    for the alleged "macroevolution" barrier, and so on. Bertvan even goes so
    far as to claim by implication that it's her inability to *imagine* such a
    thing that holds up her belief in ID (though, even so, to be fair to her, I
    must point out that her ID is more intelligent, more *reasonable*, than
    that of the mainstream ID-theorists, because it seems to consist of little
    more than a kind of metaphysical "elan vitale," rather than the claim of
    some logically preposterous variant of Christian Gods).

    Bertvan
    > >Nevertheless,
    > >for some reason they feel compelled to impose this theory upon society as
    > >"fact".

    Susan