Re: Examples of natural selection generating CSI

From: Paul Nelson (pnelson2@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 10:40:50 EDT

    Hi Richard,

    You wrote:

    > Paul, thanks for the references, but unfortunately I don't have
    >access to a university library. Is any information about this work
    >available online?

    I don't know. But if you send me your surface mailing
    address in the UK, I'll mail you copies of the articles,
    along with other relevant materials (e.g., a long unpublished
    paper by Peter Rust dealing with what Dembski later
    called CSI).

    > Also, I wonder why it is that Dembski did not cite these
    > papers in his reply to me on this subject. Perhaps it's because
    > the fit to his Design Inference is not sufficiently close for them
    > to be considered an application of it.

    Again, I don't know -- although from many conversations
    with Bill, I know that the Scherer/Rust-type calculations
    figure in his thinking, at least as rough approximations to
    the sort of probabilistic estimates one might attempt with
    the origin of biomolecules.

    > What we really need is for Dembski to give his seal of
    > approval to a particular calculation. Until then, we will be
    > left guessing about whether this or that calculation really is
    > a valid application of the Design Inference or not.

    You shouldn't need Bill Dembski looking over your
    shoulder to apply TDI. Try it yourself.

    Here's a puzzle for you. Every e-mail message you've
    sent me is an example of CSI. The messages are real
    physical patterns, encoded on magnetic media (although
    they might have been encoded in sand, brick, ink, God
    knows what). What natural cause accounts for these
    patterns?

    Or is it reasonable for me to infer an agent, namely
    Richard Wein, at a computer somewhere in the UK?

    Paul Nelson
    Senior Fellow
    The Discovery Institute
    www.discovery.org/crsc