Re: Why Does the Universe Work?

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 10:04:32 EDT

    Chris,

    CC: While I have some respect for your thesis because it protects science
    from meddling by people who are theists first and scientists perhaps not at
    all, I disagree with it.

    HVT: You need not, of course, agree with it. But I see it as far more than a
    rhetorical means of protecting science from the "meddling ignorami."

    CC: I don't think that the "giftedness" of the Universe requires that kind
    of explanation. If it did, then surely the creator of it would *also*
    require that kind of explanation: How is it that there just *happens* to be
    a God who can create universes, etc.? Why is there a God rather than nothing
    at all? Surely this can't be chance, can it? The need to regress to yet
    *another* creator to create creator is obvious.

    HVT: Try this: The attribute of self-existence, or aseity, has traditionally
    been reserved for deity. To ascribe that attribute to the physical universe,
    then, is to ascribe a God-like attribute to the universe. The worldview that
    you then have is more like pantheism than atheism. By the way, I don't mind
    admitting that there is more Mystery here than the human mind can fully
    comprehend.

    CC: At some point, something must simply *be*, and must simply have the
    basic properties needed to produce the next level closer to where *we* are.
    I see no reason nor value in going beyond some sort of basic, dumb "stuff"
    that has one or two basic attributes that allow it, from time to time, at
    least, to form at least one "universe" that can, somewhere within itself,
    support the evolution of life.

    HVT: Chris, surely your choice of the phrase "one or two basic attributes"
    for those qualities that a universe must have in order to make humans from
    quarks would win the gold medal for understatement in any Olympic
    competition. Think about it. I don't say that as a put-down, just as
    something that I think needs to be appreciated.

    (skip paragraph)

    CC: In short, although we just don't know, we don't really gain anything by
    positing further-removed causes that themselves would then need even more
    remarkable explanatory causes.

    HVT: If our only or chief concern were to give some sort of account for the
    universe's formational history, perhaps Occam's razor strategy would be
    attractive to me. However, I seek a way to do that as a secondary issue, the
    primary issue being the search for a way to find meaning in the whole of the
    human life experience.

    Good conversing with you,

    Howard Van Till