Re: What Would You Do to make evolution work?? (*Again*)

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 00:22:35 EDT

    At 03:41 PM 09/26/2000, you wrote:
    >Subj: What Would You Do to make evolution work?? (*Again*)
    >

    > >For ID theorists who claim that God *could* have created a situation which
    > >would then go on to evolve sophisticated life on its own (i.e., without any
    > >further intervention on God's part):
    >
    >Hi Chris
    >The universe might well have been created without need for further
    >intervention (by god or anything else.) However, I can't even imagine a
    >world in which chance might play an important role in creating complex,
    >rational systems.

    I've already proved that that would happen, given certain conditions,
    conditions which, as far as I can tell, do and have existed on Earth. The
    *basic* technique is this: generate *everything*, absolutely without regard
    for what it is; simply make every *possible* variation, and keep on doing
    this for 3.8 billion years. Then, throw out everything that's incompatible
    with universe ordered by the orderliness inherent in the physical
    properties of it's constituents (various subatomic particles, such as
    electrons, etc., or quarks, or strings, or whatever) and the "quantum foam"
    or whatever is the medium they are in, etc.

    Oh, to make this fit the real world, add these refinements:

    1. Instead of throwing out those things after generating them, throw them
    out along the way. Modify superficial characteristics, and let the
    organisms themselves modify characteristics, of their environment so that
    *different* organisms are thrown out as time goes on.

    2. Don't generate *absolutely* every possible variation, but do generate
    trillions of trillions of trillions of them (or some really large number of
    them).

    This "method" works to generate "rational" structures because it generates
    nearly everything and "skims" off the ones that are "rational" improvements
    on what's generated.

    I'm truly sorry that you *still* don't understand even the *basic* idea of
    evolution (or perhaps of "rational, complex systems." I'm not sure where
    the most critical conceptual problem is, though it seems to be in the weird
    belief that complex rational systems are *discontinuous* with complex but
    illogical (i.e., non-functional) systems, and/or discontinuous with
    *simple* systems. If this is it, it's a serious Platonistic/Rationalistic
    error in reasoning (or rests on such an error (or two or three)). If I had
    a Fortran compiler here, I could write you a program in an hour that would
    generate complex rational systems to the limits of all of our hard disks
    and those of nearly everyone else around, based purely on random numbers
    and even on random selection (because *some* such "complex, rational"
    systems would generally slip through the spotty selection process). There
    would, of course, be much more dreck than such systems because random
    selection would allow such dreck to "survive" as well as "complex,
    rational" systems. That is, there would be a lot of complex, *irrational*
    results, and a lot of simple results. This is, as I've said, mathematically
    provable. I could even let *you* define what the criteria are for a
    "rational, complex" system, and then use that to find such systems in the
    results.

    I've also already pointed out that *only* "rational" (to a point) systems
    *can* survive in our Universe because of the lawfulness of our Universe's
    physics. Further, the relative consistency and slowness to change of
    general Earthly conditions has provided plenty of time for at least some
    species to adapt. The mass extinctions show that this is not a universal
    phenomenon, that *many* organisms *do* get selected out, or excluded from
    further reproduction (along with their specific genes).

    If you are not willing or able to think your way through the reasoning
    involved (and you seem, possibly, *both* not willing and not able), I can't
    help you; you really do not want to know, to understand enough to make the
    effort to overcome your illogical habits of concept-formation and thought.
    Without at least the motivation to understand, you probably never will. You
    will be like the vast majority of people who never understand the theory of
    relativity, computers, mathematics, physics, economics, and much else as
    well. This is fine -- *except* for the fact that you continue to make
    dogmatic pronouncements about what can and cannot happen naturalistically,
    etc. This is like a mostly normal child who nevertheless poses as an expert
    on physics or something like that, without *actually* having bothered or
    been able (yet) to learn enough about it to be qualified to make any of the
    pronouncements he makes.

    As I pointed out in my pieces on faith (in "The 'Apparent' Trap" thread),
    it is also *egotistical* to pretend such knowledge without having learned
    either the requisite thinking skills or how the evidence supports the
    conclusions. You are, in effect, merely *parading* your *faith* around,
    because not only do you refuse to offer rational justifications for your
    views, it is clear, after nearly two years of this, at least (since I
    joined this list), that you *don't* have the requisite conceptual tools and
    thinking skills to enable you to justify such conclusions as yours, even if
    they *were* true.