Schutzenberger's Folly, part 2

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Sat Sep 23 2000 - 02:11:30 EDT

                Schutzenberger's Folly, part 2

    I will proceed by quoting another piece from the Schutzenberger
    interview, and then generously ( :-) providing critical commentary.
    This may be the last installment because I'm pretty tired of
    Schutzenberger already. But he does provide debating points which
    allow me to make some of my general points about evolution, etc.

    The full text of the interview may be seen at

                http://www.arn.org/docs/odesign/od172/schutz172.htm

    If you choose to read it, be forewarned: It may make you feel sick.

    Here goes:

    Q: What is it that makes functional complexity so difficult to
    comprehend?

    S: The evolution of living creatures appears to require an essential
    ingredient, a specific form of organization. Whatever it is, it lies
    beyond anything that our present knowledge of physics or chemistry
    might suggest; it is a property upon which formal logic sheds
    absolutely no light. Whether gradualists or saltationists, Darwinians
    have too simple a conception of biology, rather like a locksmith
    improbably convinced that his handful of keys will open any lock.
    Darwinians, for example, tend to think of the gene rather as if it
    were the expression of a simple command: do this, get that done,
    drop that side chain. Walter Gehring's work on the regulatory genes
    controlling the development of the insect eye reflects this
    conception. The relevant genes may well function this way, but the
    story on this level is surely incomplete, and Darwinian theory is not
    apt to fill in the pieces.

    Chris
    The first sentence is true, *except* for the word "specific." Living
    creatures require a kind of organization that has certain properties,
    but there is no need for that organization to be a very specific form.
    Indeed, the fact that we have so many fairly radical variations on
    life, even though life on Earth is currently all (or nearly all) based
    on DNA, indicates that we have to be careful about this issue. Life
    must be able to use energy, ultimately in the furtherance of it's own
    continued existence (including, in an abstract sense, the continued
    existence of its genetic information). This limits the physical forms,
    but not to a very narrow band of them. This is why some people
    claim, in all seriousness, that certain computer "viruses" and
    artificial life "organisms" are *in fact* living things. I'm inclined to
    agree with them, but not strongly enough to make it an issue. The
    point is that the basic requirement for a living thing are startlingly
    simple: A living thing is an "entity" that has equivalent to
    metabolism used to support its continued existence and/or the
    continued existence of its core informational structure (its "genes"
    or equivalent). This leaves a lot of room for *different* structures,
    as long as this is their effect.

    But further, while the forms of life that we know of today seem to
    be quite complex, their seems to be no *inherent* need, in principle,
    for the functional complexity that most forms of life exhibit.

    As to the locksmith simile, a better one would be that of
    mathematics, in which a small number of primitive operations and
    concepts yields an infinity of mathematical ideas. The basic
    *empirical* principle of branching replication with seemingly
    random variations is sufficient, as a frigging *mathematician*
    should know, to generate a tree with an infinity of "branches, with a
    different organism as each "leaf" All that prevents it from doing so
    are the various things that prevent reproduction of all or some of the
    genotypes involved. The general term for that collection of factors is
    "selection." This is the exclusion of some genotypes from
    reproduction. That is, in the real world, the branching and variation
    processes are limited by such factors as insufficient resources or
    biologically "wrong" genetic information, predators, etc.

    By the very nature of the replication and branching-by-variation,
    *if* it is random, it must, for all practical purposes, achieve *every*
    kind of complexity unless something *prevents* it from doing so.
    Did Schutzenberger, the *mathematician* not understand this fairly
    basic idea? Was he *not* familiar with the simple idea of a
    branching binary "tree" of possibilities? How could this be?

    My guess is that he *was* familiar with it, but chose to ignore it so
    he could shill for anti-Darwinism.

    Finally, consider the last three sentences in the paragraph:

          Darwinians, for example, tend to think of the gene
          rather as if it were the expression of a simple
          command: do this, get that done, drop that side chain.
          Walter Gehring's work on the regulatory genes
          controlling the development of the insect eye reflects
          this conception. The relevant genes may well function
          this way, but the story on this level is surely
          incomplete, and Darwinian theory is not apt to fill in
          the pieces.

    That we don't understand all there is to know about genetics is a
    mindless truism. So what? Darwinists never *claimed* to. Darwin
    himself did not even know about genetics. The issues described
    above have very little to do with Darwinian evolution; they are
    issues of the details of *genetics*. The complexity of genetic
    function is well known, but irrelevant to whether naturalistic
    Darwinian branching-by-replication-with-variation evolution is
    basically true or not. It is not *up* to "Darwinian theory . . . to fill in
    the pieces."

    I personally expect that we will find many *more* of the types of
    things we would expect to find in such a "computer program
    encoding" system evolved by natural processes. We will find other
    things like telomeres, multi-level control mechanisms, multi-way
    conditional branching, and so on, as we *do* unravel the details of
    both genetics and the reproductive process at both the organism and
    the cellular reproduction levels (not to mention gene-expression
    within the cell and the organism).

    But that this is generally complex is hardly relevant to Darwinism
    because it is not, primarily a function of Darwinism to explain how
    such things work. It may be the function of evolutionary theory to
    seek and find explanations as to how these complexities *arose*,
    but it is hardly a defect in the *theory* that empirical research has
    not yet determined the specifics of such facts, particularly since the
    facts themselves are not well understood yet. Schutzenberger is
    playing the game of pretending that empirical ignorance is a
    *theoretical* defect. We don't know why, ultimately, matter exists,
    but does that invalidate the theories that describe how matter
    behaves?

    His remark about formal logic not shedding light on how living
    things are organized so as to allow evolution is in the same
    irrelevant vein, particularly since formal logic is not a part of the
    theory he is criticizing. The question is *related* to evolutionary
    theory, but not a reflection on it. Of *course* living things have to
    be organized along certain lines or they can't evolve. So what?

    Perhaps he should have considered taking up robotics, cybernetics,
    genetic programming, and machine perception, fields much more
    closely related to biology than is mathematics. We *know* what it
    takes to make a robot (though not in detail what it takes to make a
    really *good* robot, sadly). We know it needs energy and some sort
    of control mechanism that enables it to use that energy. We know it
    needs informational input and some means of acting in the world
    and internally. *This* is the "specific" type of organization that
    naturally-occurring life has. This is not one of the mysteries of life.
    The *mysteries* (so far) are the specifics of how these functions are
    achieved in the real world. And, again, this is not really relevant to
    whether Darwinism is true or not, whether Darwinism entails
    "miracles" or not.

    [end of "Schutzenberger's Folly, part 2]