URL problems and CSI

From: Wesley R. Elsberry (welsberr@inia.cls.org)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 19:42:47 EDT

    The URL Nelson tried was incorrect.

    <http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/ae/dembski_wa/19990913_csi_and_ec.html>

    should serve up a page.

    Does CSI arise in natural processes? We have a situation
    where those who say "no" do so because they exclude a priori
    various possible examples. Dembski has stated that he is
    working on an in-principle refutation of the power of natural
    selection to produce CSI, but it is not yet here and available
    for comment. Dembski's in-principle refutation of the power
    of natural selection present in his 1997 NTSE paper is notable
    by its absence in either TDI (where it was promised to be
    section 6.3) or in "Intelligent Design" chapter 6, which
    appears to be an otherwise lightly edited version of the NTSE
    paper. A primary reason for its absence, IMO, is that Bill
    Jefferys ripped it apart in the discussion period at the NTSE.
    In the meantime, we can note that natural selection has the
    properties that Dembski claimed uniquely showed the character
    of intelligent agency (see TDI section 2.4 and my review in
    the March/April 1999 RNCSE). Also, we can point out that
    Dembski considers natural selection to simply be an element of
    the set of evolutionary algorithms
    (<http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/ae/dembski_wa/19990913_explaining_csi.html>).
    As such, it is just a bit glib to dismiss what we can learn
    from the computational instances as having no application to
    what we can know about natural selection. At least, it doesn't
    make sense to do so if we take Dembski's definition of
    "evolutionary algorithms" seriously.

    <http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/ae/dembski_wa/19990913_csi_and_ec.html>
    <http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=532248147>
    <http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/ae/dembski_wa/dembski_ans.txt>