Re: 1. my new email management strategy, 2. evidence against Darwinism-there isn't any!

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 18:42:45 EDT

    Reflectorites

    I apologise for the recent `bombing run' of my responses to FJ's posts, but I
    wanted to catch up on all his seeming endlessly repetitive questions so I
    could honestly say I had answered them all and could then just write "see
    above" or "see previous" when he asks the same questions again, and
    again, and again ... (what's the ACSII symbol for infinity :-)).

    But as half expected I now have a return `bombing run' of six (6) replies
    from FJ (who *definitely* is Pim van Meurs), repeating all the same
    questions!

    It has occurred to me that this might be some sort of ploy by FJ/Pim to fill
    up all our inboxes with the equivalent of `junk mail' in order to shut down
    any serious debate on design. When he last did this I eventually inserted a
    filter in my emailer and Pim finally gave up and left the Reflector.

    But I didn't like doing that, so I am now going to try a different approach (I
    know you have heard this before-"the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh
    is weak"!) . I have decided to save all incoming messages with my name in
    them into text files whose filename contains the date and initials of the sender
    (e.g. this one is 00904SB1.txt).

    I will then answer the messages in these text files in strict chronological
    order first, then the name of the sender second, so I spread my replies
    around among Reflectorites

    I also intend to allocate only a maximum of hour to each post. Then when
    the hour is up I will terminate the message with a "[time's up]" and the rest
    of the message will be chopped off unread. If I chop off any important
    points the sender can always bring this to my attention publicly (not
    privately) and I will try to answer the points. With my other commitments
    (I have 3 Biology assignments to do!) this might work out to only an
    average of 1-2 responses a day.

    Posts that are scrappy and rely on me to tidy them up to make sense of
    them, I will tend to ignore or count the tidying up in the hour allocated.
    Those that repeat the same questions (like FJ/Pim's) will tend to have the
    lowest priority and when I do answer them I will use a lot of "see above"
    and "see previous post", etc, rather than waste everybody's time. I probably
    will have less time to tidy up and spell check my posts, so I apologise for
    that in advance.

    But even then, given the amount of mail that is in response to my posts (I
    am not complaining), I will probably still not be able to answer them all, so
    any posts more than 7 days old will be consigned to the bit bucket.

    I am saying this up front so that you will know why I might not answer
    your posts. My apologies in advance.

    Steve

    On Mon, 04 Sep 2000 10:50:17 -0500, Susan Brassfield Cogan wrote:

    [...]

    >>It appears that most (if not all) evolutionists are unable to even form in
    >>their minds the question: "What do you, an evolutionist, consider the most
    >>telling points against evolution?"

    >>SB>I think you are assuming that someone is in doubt...

    >SJ>Note how Susan's reply rephrases the question. I asked "... any ...
    >>evolutionist ... what they consider `the most telling points against ...
    >>Evolution?"

    SB>I think the problem is, that the question is about a century out of date.
     If this hasn't got a name as a fallacy in logic it should have!

    This "out-of-date" defence is just another ploy by evolutionists to protect
    their theory from challenge, as Dembski points out:

            "Evolutionary biologists have a habit of ignoring the most pertinent
            criticisms of their theory until they can decently call them out-of-
            date." (Berlinski D., "Denying Darwin: David Berlinski and
            Critics," Commentary, September 1996, p26)

    It is *irrelevant* how "out of date" a question is. The real issue is, has it
    been answered or refuted, and if so, what was the answer or refutation?

    SB>You are assuming someone, somewhere, is still trying to prove that
    >evolution is true by answering important objections. They aren't.

    Since Susan has defined "evolution" as (something like) "a change in gene
    frequencies in a population" who would *bother* trying to prove Susan's
    version of "evolution is true"?

    SB>The last
    >"telling point" that I know about was the lack of mechanism to transmit
    >variations from one generation to another. That was resolved around 1900.

    Yes. If "evolution" is just "a change in gene frequencies in a population"
    then that would do it. Then there would have been since "around 1900" no
    more "telling points against ...Evolution"!

    What I can't figure out is why Susan even *bothers* to debate it.

    SB>Since that time all the evolutionary research has been focused on finding
    >further substantiation for it--transitional fossils, for example, which
    >have been found in abundance--and to figure out how it works.

    Maybe Susan would be interested in this recent quote by Robert Carroll,
    author of the monumental Vertebrate Paleontology, who now admits what
    the creationists have been saying all along:

            "What is missing are the many intermediate forms hypothesized by
            Darwin, and the continual divergence of major lineages into the
            morphospace between distinct adaptive types." (Carroll R.L.,
            "Towards a new evolutionary synthesis," Trends in Ecology and
            Evolution, 2000, Vol. 15, pp.27-32)

    A fuller quote is in the tagline.

    SB>The reason your question goes unanswered now is because it was answered a
    >very long time ago. You just didn't like the answer.

    As the title of Carroll's paper indicates, the answer has been *wrong* all along
    and now there is a need for "a new evolutionary synthesis"!

    SB>Johnson (and you) keep saying there are "flaws in" or "problems with"
    >evolution that evilutionists just don't want discussed

    I am going to quote in my taglines over the next few weeks from Carroll's
    paper and another paper by a molecular biologist, James Shapiro, which are
    both admitting that their respective disciplines that there are major
    "problems with" evolution that the *Darwinists* indeed "just don't want
    discussed".

    SB>It is *you* (and
    >he) that don't want them discussed because when someone asks "what flaws?"
    >they get a bunch of tired creationist nonsense that has been refuted ad
    >nauseum and is really designed to fool people who are not familiar with the
    >actual evidence

    The problem is that it *hasn't* "been refuted" *at all*! And some evolutionist
    who are not as dogmatic are being forced by the *facts* to admit the
    problems.

    Dirt that is swept under the rug is still there and if it happens enough
    it makes lumps that become more and more noticeable!

    [times up!]

    "The most obvious contrasts between the darwinian view of the patterns and
    the rates of evolution, and the evidence that has since been documented by
    the fossil record, are illustrated in Fig. 1. Darwin used the only illustration
    in the first edition of The Origin of Species to explain his hypothesis that
    the patterns of evolution over hundreds of millions of generations were the
    same as those at the level of populations and species. In fact, they are
    clearly distinct in all taxonomic groups 4,8 . Evolution at the level of
    populations and species might, in some cases, appear as nearly continuous
    change accompanied by divergence to occupy much of the available
    morphospace 9. However, this is certainly not true for long-term, large-
    scale evolution, such as that of the metazoan phyla, which include most of
    the taxa that formed the basis for the evolutionary synthesis. The most
    striking features of large-scale evolution are the extremely rapid divergence
    of lineages near the time of their origin, followed by long periods in which
    basic body plans and ways of life are retained. What is missing are the