Re: The Wedge Project

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 14:44:07 EDT

    At 12:02 PM 09/18/2000, you wrote:
    >Until I read something that FMAJ said in passing I had heretofore thought
    >that "The Wedge" was a chapter in Phillip Jonson's newest book (it may
    >still be). I did a search on the web for "wedge, discovery institute" and
    >got this link:
    >
    >http://www.infidels.org/secular_web/feature/1999/wedge.html

    Perhaps we need something that could be called the "Wedgie Project," in
    which we pull up the philosophical/theological "underwear" of design theory
    from behind.

    I don't understand how this non-materialist, Christian "science" is
    supposed to work, since it's based on faith, not on cognition.

    Incidentally, for those who are just starting to think about such things
    and see that there *have* been problems *associated* with materialistic
    world-views, it's important to understand that there are *many*
    materialistic world views, and that the moral and social implications of
    them differ, often *radically*. The common Christian propaganda claim that
    materialism implies amoralism and that it is responsible for the many or
    all of the evils of modern society is vastly overgeneralized. It's like
    saying that, since one medication may have bad effects, one should not take
    *any* medications. Further, *most* people in the world today are hardly
    raging scientific materialists, even in the U.S. Most people, in fact, hold
    a fairly wide range of non-materialistic, mystical-BS nonsense beliefs,
    including such things as astrology, Reiki, psychic powers, the magical
    powers of cloths and crap sold in the backs of supermarket checkout-stand
    tabloids (National Enquirer, etc.), ghosts, "spirits," God in various
    forms, Satan, Rosicrucianism, creationism, numerology, psychic healing,
    Wiccan magic, and so on, nearly endlessly. Thus, if we wanted to mindlessly
    attribute social problems to something, we could just as well attribute it
    to the rampant mystical/non-materialism in our culture.

    The real cause is deeper, in epistemology: The willingness to hold beliefs
    for which one does not have adequate *cognitive* justification and the
    *unwillingness* to adopt beliefs for which one *does* have adequate
    cognitive justification. Actually, there's a basic motivational issue here
    as well: The voluntary failure to put effort into cognitively facing
    reality and into building up (or *re-*building) one's concepts in logically
    rigorous, objectively and cognitively sound *concepts* and basic ideas.

    This creates a vicious circle: The person is not motivated to volitionally
    grasp the world cognitively, and so does not develop the skills and
    concepts needed to do it well, and the resulting confusion and intellectual
    quagmires then make it seem hopeless ever to rationally understand things
    and this undercuts motivation. And, our society in general denigrates
    rationality, especially in philosophy (because of the very dominance of
    non-materialistic world-views), and so there is very little social support
    for rational intellectual development in this area. People end up feeling
    that rational thinking is just not worth the effort, because they do it so
    poorly. Public schooling also tends to promote this feeling by making
    learning and thinking seem like necessarily unpleasant chores that one is
    to abandon in any serious form once one gets out of school or college. Of
    course, the incompetence and the negative motivation encourages a
    null-witted approach to ideas and beliefs, which promotes the hopelessness,
    which promotes the null-wittedness.

    This is even "rational," in a very shortsighted, short-term way. The cost
    of learning to think rationally, and of actually doing so, is viewed
    emotionally as higher than the expected benefits of doing so. This view is
    false, and this view itself is a result of past failure to develop rational
    thinking, but that will not usually be discovered because it effectively
    "protects" itself by prevent itself from being examined rationally. A very
    vicious circle indeed.

    Can the vicious circles involved in this non-thought syndrome be broken?
    Yes, but not usually easily, and often not very successfully, because, by
    the time a person *does* decide to take learning and reason seriously, he
    or she is usually too set in a morass of deeply-ingrained philosophical and
    other beliefs that get in the way, and many of those beliefs can be very
    painful to give up. A person who grows up with a
    mystical/non-materialist/faith-oriented world-view and mind-set will
    usually not be willing or perhaps even able to fully overcome it, and
    actually learn to apply principles of rational cognition to anything deeper
    than scientific issues. It *needs* to be applied most fully to deep
    philosophical premises that the person may not even know he *has*, but it
    usually will not be; the uncomfortable *effort* involved will tend to
    dissuade the person at every step.

    But, as a start, here's what I call the primary rule of the *application*
    of reason to belief:

             Believe all, but *only*, what you have rationally
             adequate cognitive justification for believing.

    Ideas without adequate justification may sometimes be modified to make them
    rationally acceptable. For example, you can qualify such an idea with, "It
    is *probably* true that . . ." or with "I sorta-kinda believe that . . . ,"
    etc.

    Another start is to take the *rational* formation of one's concepts --
    especially highly abstract ones -- very seriously. If you don't, you will
    very likely end up with large masses of nonsensical ideas based on
    ill-defined and poorly-founded concepts.