Re: The Wedge Project

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 23:39:28 EDT

    In a message dated 9/18/2000 10:05:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
    Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu writes:

    I assumed that people were aware of this document. It surprises me to find at
    least on person on this reflector that does not seem to be aware of this
    document. It's this document that puts into detail quite a bit of the hopes
    and aspirations of the ID movement.

    And it's quite interesting to read. It shows imho that science is placed on a
    time line. Not to achieve necessarily a scientific goal but more a
    socio-political goal.

    It makes for some good reading as Susan has shown

    << Until I read something that FMAJ said in passing I had heretofore thought
    that "The Wedge" was a chapter in Phillip Jonson's newest book (it may
    still be). I did a search on the web for "wedge, discovery institute" and
    got this link:

    http://www.infidels.org/secular_web/feature/1999/wedge.html

    "A recently-circulated position paper of The Center for the Renewal
    of Science & Culture (CRSC) reveals an ambitious plan to replace
    the current naturalistic methodology of science with a theistic
    alternative called "intelligent design."

    It contains many interesting quotes from the original Wedge document:

    "Design theory promises to reverse the stifling dominance of the
    materialist worldview, and to replace it with a science consonant with
    Christian and theistic convictions."

    the document outlines the propaganda campaign and who it is aimed at:

    "Alongside a focus on influential opinion-makers, we
    also seek to build up a popular base of support among our natural
    constituency, namely, Christians. We will do this primarily through
    apologetics seminars. We intend these to encourage and equip believers
    with new scientific evidence's that support the faith, as well as to
    "popularize" our ideas in the broader culture."

    and this should be of particluar interest to Stephen Jones and Bertvan,
    since they seem to be totally unaware of this particular feature of the
    Discovery Institute/ID agenda:

    "We will also pursue possible
    legal assistance in response to resistance to the integration of design
    theory into public school science curricula. The attention, publicity, and
    influence of design theory should draw scientific materialists into open
    debate with design theorists, and we will be ready. With an added
    emphasis to the social sciences and humanities, we will begin to address
    the specific social consequences of materialism and the Darwinist theory
    that supports it in the sciences."

    I especially enjoyed the last paragraph. It sounds downright Unitarian:

    "Science need not contradict religious faith, although its findings have
    sometimes
    exposed superstitions such as the geocentric theory, a world-wide catastrophic
    flood, and Tillich's God "up there." The real irony in all of this is that
    the Discovery
    Institute's well-laid plans are doomed to failure from the outset. Even if
    they
    succeeded brilliantly in manufacturing the consent needed to replace
    science with
    theism, it would only be a matter of time before we began to question the
    world
    around us and to turn once again to science as a constructive means for
    finding
    answers to our questions. If all of our knowledge were wiped away tomorrow and
    replaced with theistic dogma, another Thales or an Aristotle would come
    along to
    begin the process anew. Mephistopheles thinks he holds us tight with religious
    illusion, but human beings are greater than the gods and devils who would
    keep us
    in ignorance. Science is our most reliable tool for understanding the
    universe in
    which we live. "And I by the power of thought," Pascal wrote, "may
    comprehend the
    universe."

    Susan